GL2 Service/Repair Manual at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 4th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #1
John Hess

GL2 Service/Repair Manual

Does anyone here know how to obtain a service manual for a Canon GL2? I have tried the corporate offices in New York and the repair/parts facility in New Jersey (4 different departments). All of them refused to sell me the manual.

I have managed to purchase service manuals for every piece of pro video equipment that I have owned over the past 20 or more years and they have come in handy several times. Now that I am considering the purchase of a second GL2, I want that manual.

The GL2 has been my first experience with Canon video products and, even though the output of the camera is excellent, their refusal to allow me to purchase the manual, makes me wish I had stayed with Panasonic.

Thanks for your help.

John
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No. To my knowledge Canon only permits authorized service personnel to acquire such manuals. Looks like you'll have to go back to Panasonic.

Just curious: why are you so insistent on having such a manual?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #3
John Hess

Ken:

I tend to keep my pro line video equipment till it is junk. I try to buy good stuff and get lots of years of service out of it. That being the case, I often find that I can not get things repaired when they do break because the repair shops have stopped supporting a particluar item. I have found that if I have a manual I can get a quality technician to work on equimpent that he normally would not.

The service manual quite often contains operating methods that are not covered in the operating manuals too.

When ever a company refuses to sell service manuals I automatically wonder what they have to hide. This applies to every thing.

John
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hess
I often find that I can not get things repaired when they do break because the repair shops have stopped supporting a particluar item.
There are two (and only two) authorized Canon factory service centers, one in Jamesburg, NJ and the other in Irvine, CA. They will repair any camcorder up to seven years past the date it was discontinued. After that, you should probably consider upgrading to whatever format is current seven years from now!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #5
John Hess

Thank you Chris.

BUT, I am not looking for the locations of Canon service centers. I want to obtain a service/repair manual for the GL2.

John
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Hi John,

As Ken mentions above, those manuals will be next to impossible to obtain. I pointed out the service centers as a resource for you in case your Canon camcorders are ever in need of repair. I'm sorry we can't be of any more assistance to you. Best wishes,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Date?

When was the GL1 discontinued? Just curious about when I'll need to to replace the GL1's I use for wedding videos. I won't want to use them when service is no longer available.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders