Is GL2 still a wise new investment. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 19th, 2005, 04:44 AM   #16
Wrangler

No solid rumors - just the observations that the GL2 has been out for 3+ years, which appears to be the normal marketing life of Canon's higher end camcorders, and that Canon needs an HD entry at a more modest price point than what they have at the moment.

But that does NOT mean to a new product will ship before June 06.
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #17
Old Boot

Don - " . . . and that Canon needs an HD entry at a more modest price point than what they have at the moment." Do you really think so? Would be great to believe this. Or do you think they are going to abandon everything under the XL2/HD until you get down to the real budget end? OR might they do a SONY and slot-in a CMOS one chip? This would mean a complete dissertation of the group I'm in. Do you think that would be viable? 'cos at the moment it is a chasm and the clock is ticking.

I'd like to make use of the kit I've bought for my XM2s on any XM3/HD.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Bill,
I used the GL2 on a family wedding but the lights were not turned down low and the GL2 worked great. I use mine more in the outdoors for wildlife and hunts. I have a small Sony ( 0 lux) and like it but, it is not the same as my GL2. The other main reason I bought the GL2 is the 20x zoom it kicks butt outdooors, and in a wedding most of the time I don't think you would use the 20x zoom. So maybe a 12x or a 16x power would work for you in a low lux Sony. I think when you work in low light you are going to have problems no matter what you have. If Sony would have had a 20x zoom I would have leaned towards a Sony but really wanted a good zoom. Good luck!
Steve Love my GL 2 tho!
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Also! I know a lot of people don't think much of it or about it but... the 1.7 meg pix SD card is real nice for stills to use in your vids. I use it a bunch. yes it is not a 5 or 6 meg but I have some damn nice photos from this GL2. So if you have it use it! Anyone else use it?
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #20
Wrangler

Graham: Considering the popularity of the GL2 and its price point, it would not make sense to abandon that market segment to others when Canon has proved it can compete successfully in it. Just my take. But I have no insider information, and anyone who does is probably under non-disclosure.
Old December 20th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #21
Old Boot

Don: " . . . it would not make sense to abandon that market segment to others when Canon has proved it can compete successfully in it. " EXACTLY! ! Now Canon, give it up! We aren't stupid . . but the clock IS ticking .. tick - tock - tick - tock . . .

. . . and, better than proving they can compete, it is to capitalize on that self same market by "announcing" something . . and soon!

What are they waiting for? Waiting for us to buy the Sony HDR-HC1 CMOS HD - that's got 16:9 or 4:3, and 1/3 chip? I wonder what they are wanting to happen? Is it to have those in the present XM2 section "upgrade" to the XL2? Have us absorb all the XL2 inventory? OR make the giant leap to the $7k HD?

Don, I'm with you on this. But you must admit, it is a real intriguing marketing scenario going on. Most probably I'm exhibiting my normal naivety - it is most likely something far more boring than the scenarios I've painted .. hey ho!

Come on Mr Canon, gives us a nod . . . ooh let it be black though.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #22
Regular Crew

My vote for black also!
Old December 23rd, 2005, 04:05 PM   #23
Major Player

I have this same question on two other threads, but this seems like a good place for a possible answer. My three-year old GL-2 has the tape transport malfunction that seems to be common with other users. In the "Rewind" mode the tape timecode gets dropped and the camera auto-stops, requiring removal and re-insertion of the tape to continue. Does anyone know the cost or practicality of having a new tape unit installed into the camera ?
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 04:39 PM   #24
Regular Crew

response deleted by me -- jim
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #25
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell
I have this same question on two other threads, but this seems like a good place for a possible answer. My three-year old GL-2 has the tape transport malfunction that seems to be common with other users. In the "Rewind" mode the tape timecode gets dropped and the camera auto-stops, requiring removal and re-insertion of the tape to continue. Does anyone know the cost or practicality of having a new tape unit installed into the camera ?
Canon service in N.J. has a minimum charge of about $250, but that covers a lot, including replacing the transport.

There is a DYI fix that has worked for several people; search a bit in this forum and you'll find the discussion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders