DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Experience with time lapse settings on GL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/56892-experience-time-lapse-settings-gl2.html)

Len Imbery December 27th, 2005 08:59 AM

Experience with time lapse settings on GL2?

Could anyone tell me what effects are possible using the GL2's time-lapse feature? I recently was in San Francisco and tried recording with my camcorder pointed out the window at the cityscape. I left it on for a couple of hours at .5sec recorded every 30 sec.....When I edited the footage I sped it up 5X and got some great footage of traffic speeding through the streets and dawn emerging with clouds going across the sky.
I was just wondering if someone has used this feature extensively and what kind of footage they've shot with this and some of the other settings?
Thanks in advance....
Len

Matthew Fink December 27th, 2005 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len Imbery
Could anyone tell me what effects are possible using the GL2's time-lapse feature? I recently was in San Francisco and tried recording with my camcorder pointed out the window at the cityscape. I left it on for a couple of hours at .5sec recorded every 30 sec.....When I edited the footage I sped it up 5X and got some great footage of traffic speeding through the streets and dawn emerging with clouds going across the sky.
I was just wondering if someone has used this feature extensively and what kind of footage they've shot with this and some of the other settings?
Thanks in advance....
Len

The possiblities with the time lapse are endless - you can shoot flowers blossoming, leaves falling - its great for nature type scenes - traffic like you did and clouds and sky are great - sunsets, sun rises - anything that changes over time will make for some great video using time lapse. Cities with their lights are cool - as it gets dark and lights go on in offices, etc - then as it gets later in the evening, office lights start popping off one by one...

Are you working on a project that you would like to use timelapse on or just playing around? Because if you had a specific porject we could probably give you more ideas related to that...

-Matt

Len Imbery December 27th, 2005 12:40 PM

Time Lapse settings

No, I'm not working on a project yet....I was just playing around and was thinking about ways in which I could use the feature....I was just curious as to what the differences in looks one would get using some of the various setting combinations....like letting it run for a longer time, but with more time between takes...I assume it might be more jerky?
so what settings would be more suitable for say, a flower blossoming?...the traffic scene?.....clouds passing....sunsets? etc.
Len

DJ Kinney December 28th, 2005 02:53 AM

Hey! I recently used the intervalometer to record traffic on a suspension bridge. Little did I know I would capture the movement of the bridge! The flex of the cables caused by heat expansion and contraction had the bridge visibly shifting by several feet at the center. It was really freakin' cool.

DJ

Declan Smith December 28th, 2005 06:54 AM

Try using Scenalyzer software. You have total control of time lapse settings and can get excellent results. Good thing is it records direct to disk. Obviously relies on your camera to be connected to a PC or LapTop.