Experience with time lapse settings on GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 27th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Experience with time lapse settings on GL2?

Could anyone tell me what effects are possible using the GL2's time-lapse feature? I recently was in San Francisco and tried recording with my camcorder pointed out the window at the cityscape. I left it on for a couple of hours at .5sec recorded every 30 sec.....When I edited the footage I sped it up 5X and got some great footage of traffic speeding through the streets and dawn emerging with clouds going across the sky.
I was just wondering if someone has used this feature extensively and what kind of footage they've shot with this and some of the other settings?
Thanks in advance....
Len
Len Imbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Imbery
Could anyone tell me what effects are possible using the GL2's time-lapse feature? I recently was in San Francisco and tried recording with my camcorder pointed out the window at the cityscape. I left it on for a couple of hours at .5sec recorded every 30 sec.....When I edited the footage I sped it up 5X and got some great footage of traffic speeding through the streets and dawn emerging with clouds going across the sky.
I was just wondering if someone has used this feature extensively and what kind of footage they've shot with this and some of the other settings?
Thanks in advance....
Len
The possiblities with the time lapse are endless - you can shoot flowers blossoming, leaves falling - its great for nature type scenes - traffic like you did and clouds and sky are great - sunsets, sun rises - anything that changes over time will make for some great video using time lapse. Cities with their lights are cool - as it gets dark and lights go on in offices, etc - then as it gets later in the evening, office lights start popping off one by one...

Are you working on a project that you would like to use timelapse on or just playing around? Because if you had a specific porject we could probably give you more ideas related to that...

-Matt
Matthew Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Time Lapse settings

No, I'm not working on a project yet....I was just playing around and was thinking about ways in which I could use the feature....I was just curious as to what the differences in looks one would get using some of the various setting combinations....like letting it run for a longer time, but with more time between takes...I assume it might be more jerky?
so what settings would be more suitable for say, a flower blossoming?...the traffic scene?.....clouds passing....sunsets? etc.
Len
Len Imbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey! I recently used the intervalometer to record traffic on a suspension bridge. Little did I know I would capture the movement of the bridge! The flex of the cables caused by heat expansion and contraction had the bridge visibly shifting by several feet at the center. It was really freakin' cool.

DJ
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Try using Scenalyzer software. You have total control of time lapse settings and can get excellent results. Good thing is it records direct to disk. Obviously relies on your camera to be connected to a PC or LapTop.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders