Need Advice on GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 20th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #1
Tourist

Need Advice on GL2

I recently purchased a Canon GL2 and have a 2 week grace period in which I can return it. I have used the camera and really love it, especially in low light, but after reading about the "Remove Cassette" problem I am wondering whether to return it. It seems this problem is popping up not just at the beginning of its life but also after a year or more. I paid a lot of money (I think I overspent for my purposes) for this camera and don't feel like spending more on repairs.

It seems from the forum that Canon is not acknowledging it as a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw but it doesn't mean Canon didn't fix it. Does anyone know if this problem was addressed for later manufactured units (kind of like what Panasonic did for the GS400) and is there a way to tell from a serial number if it is a later manufactured model?
Max Polla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Has your new GL2 given you the message yet?

I have had 3 GL2s - 1 of them I bought used 3 years ago and the other 2 are 2 years old bought brand new.

The old used one gives me that message once in awhile, but it has never messed up a tape.

The newer ones, which have probably 1000 hours of use at least on them have given me that message maybe once since I have owned them. I just make sure every so often I run a tape cleaner and they work flawlessly.

I think the error is annoying when it occurs non stop but on a camera that is properly taken care of it doesnt seem to be an issue.

-Matt
Matthew Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 03:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Max , I just posted this same info on another thread, but it may be of use to you. I have shot some excellent video with the GL-2 over the last three years, but mine has also developed the tape transport error, where in "Rewind", the unit loses the time code and auto-stops, after which you have to remove and reinsert the tape to continue. On one occasion it ate a mini-DV tape beyond salvage. I can use the rewind if I am in the "Playback" mode, but from "Stop" my rewind is too risky to use. I instead use another deck or camera to fast rewind my tapes. Does anyone know what the cost is to have a new tape unit put into the GL-2 ?
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Tourist

Am I correct in assuming that the remove casette problem only occurs in playback mode? If this is the case can the problem simply be solved using an external tape rewinder? I know that it is a bit of a pain and that for this price we shouldn't have to do this but it seems like a simple enough solution. This is what I usually do anyways since I am always afraid of damaging the tape transport.

Does anyone know if the problem has ever occured during a firewire download to a PC?
Old December 23rd, 2005, 09:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Max, it only occurs in the pure rewind mode where the video is not seen in the viewfinder. During playback, the rewind works normally with the video showing in the viewfinder. I am using an external rewind unit or another deck for rapid rewind. The camera otherwise functions normally
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 02:07 AM   #6
New Boot

I bought my GL2 In January of 2005, I used it almost daily, and this tape error thing has never occured in my camera, but I've heard of these rumors and after reading this I am scared. Hopefully I got mine after Canon addressed the issue...
Tyler Panah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #7
Old Boot

" . . . heard of these rumors" - Rumours? Hmmm....

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #8
Tourist

Thanks for the replies everyone. I purchased this camcorder mainly for its low light performance. Most of my shooting is indoors and grain just bugs me. I had purchased a Panasonic GS400 and it is a great little camera but for the price it just couldn't cut it in low light so I exchanged it for GL2. It was the best camera possible for the price I was willing to pay. Anyways I think I am going to stick with it and should get a good test of it in low light during the Christmas holidays. As for the problem mentioned above I am just going to use an external rewinder. I picked one up for $60 CDN and if it eliminates the remove casette problem it would have been well worth it.

Thanks again and happy holidays to all
Old December 24th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

i no this is a little off topic but have any of you had this problem who own the Pal version of the camera? the XM2.
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #10
Inner Circle

worries

Max,

When I joined the list I read all the horror stories and became worried.

I have never seen the cassette error problem. I always use one type of tape and i bought a rewinder.
I also will purchase a econo cam corder to use for a player if i do not break down and purchase a proper player.
I love my gl2 and treat it like I like, not like my dodge 4x4 which I love and treat like I hate it.

I would not worry about it.

Gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #11
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell
...Does anyone know what the cost is to have a new tape unit put into the GL-2 ?
It costs about $250 US. But search this forum and you'll find a DYI fix that has worked for several people.
Old December 27th, 2005, 04:31 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Well, DIY fix can work, but in most cases camera should be repaired at Canon service. I had that problem and also all of my friends with XM2's had that problem (4 XM2's- REMOVE THE CASSETTE). Interesting thing is if you ask them about that cam now, they would go again with XM2. That says a lot.
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #13
Old Boot

I've had both my XM2s transport mechanisms replaced by Canon, without a request for it to be done by me - they MUST know something we don't - AND this was within the last gasp, 15days, of my warranty. I was lucky/fortunate.

Would I buy another XM2? NO! But I would buy 2 more XM3s with native 16:9 and HD and XLRs and 20x zoom and BLACK! ! ! So my reply is, I love the size and quality of my XM2s - next up is the XM3HD . . come on Canon . . "Cough"!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hahahaha, I agree totally Grazie!!! Yes a XM3HD with XLRs with a different zoom rocker system, coming to a store near you.........................

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders