Format for web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 29th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #1
New Boot

Format for web

An other question for you guys.

What would you say the best video format was for web pages ie someone clicks on a link and watches a video presentation.

Thanks again
great website for info thanks to all involved
Paul Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

My opinion? Flash
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #3
New Boot

Steve if I have a video of my home and want to upload it to a web page its the video format (smallest size of course) that Im after for a server but quality needs to be good
Thanks
Paul Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There are tons of video to flash convertors out there. Some out there will play video like a television.

I've converted video to all the popular formats and have found flash to be the most easily accessible, although, that's just my opinion.

I do like flash video for the compression ratio, I have found my video to turn out nice. You can see a sample of it on my webpage. http://droptodesign.com/videography.html

I spent an entire year or so ago researching and waiting for programs to be available to video to web transfer. I think if someone were to crunch the numbers: it would be found that browsers, web vendors etc are learning towards a stronger flash driven web experience. It's the main reason I went with flash video.
Old December 30th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm not disagreeing about Flash. But if all you want is a simple video file download (not streaming), then you can do it by converting your video to Quicktime or Windows Media. You put a regular link on your web page to those files, and they'll download and play on any computer that has the Quicktime or Windows Media player software (most Windows machines have one or both of these). This is a very simple (low-tech) approach to delivering video via the web -- no special server software required.
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders