Title mix with SDMemory Card artwork at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 2nd, 2003, 03:32 AM   #1
New Boot

Title mix with SDMemory Card artwork

Hi

I've downloaded the MMC templates from canondv.com.
What I can't find in the manual or somewhere else, is how you can use these templates in a title mix.
Not that I would use it to record footage to tape, but I'm just wondering if it's possible to mix live footage with one of these template files.

Any idea?

Kind regards!
Bart
Bart Saerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2003, 07:16 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

See page 129 of the manual, "Combining Images and Recording Them onto a Tape (Title Mix)." Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2003, 12:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

OK, I'm stumped.

Chris and Bart,

I've been wanting to do this too, so I followed the instructions on the web site and in the manual to no avail.

If I make my own title per the manual, the image is saved as USR00001.TTL in the title folder on the sd card.
AUX_xxxxx.JPG files such as the MMC files from the website are stored in the same folder that photos are normally stored.

The manual provides no clues about making your own title mix templates.

Have either of you been able to get this to work?

Guess I'll call the web site phone number on Monday...

Michael
Michael Westphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2003, 12:40 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Don't know if this will work, but try saving your .jpg with the .ttl extension and dropping it into the title folder -- maybe then it will be recognized as a title. Let us know what you find out,

Old January 4th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Also see page 129 of the GL2 camera manual... "Creating a Title Image." Looks like you can choose a still image (.jpg) from your media card, and turn it into a title (for mixing purposes), with this menu function. Wish I had the camcorder so I could try it myself. Hope this helps,

Old January 5th, 2003, 04:52 AM   #6
New Boot

I'm still unable to use the Canon templates as title mix files.
I'm going to contact canondv.com to ask them if they have any idea how this works .... should work somehow, otherwise it's quite useless to put such templates online. Or we should use them in NLE software.
Old January 5th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Chris,
P. 129 tells how to create and select a title. BUT it's only *.TTL files in the title folder. And so far, I've found no way to create a .TTL file except through the camera, which can be useful, but not as useful as being able to bring in a file created elsewhere (watermarks, bugs, ...)

And I haven't been able to open the .TTL file yet, but I'm assuming it contains alpha channel info for the transparency part of the image -- thus implying there's no way to use a standard .JPG...

Bart,
Post here if you get something from Canon and I'll do the same.

Michael
Old January 6th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Bad News

According to Tech Support, The MMC templates on the web site are not for the GL2. They are for the other camcorders that can use CARD MIX.

The GL2 does not support Card Mix. It uses TITLE MIX and the only way to make a Title Mix (.TTL) file is through the camcorder. This file is in a proprietary format and can not (as far as Tech Support knows) be created in third party software external to the camera.

So, to do Title Mix, you have to follow the procedures as outlined on page 129 of the manual. The suggestion is to use good lighting so that you get a good crisp image...

Michael
Old January 7th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks for your replay, Michael!

Too bad, not that I was planning to record footage with this image mix feature, but would have been cool anyway ;-)

Greetzz!
Bart
Old June 25th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #10
Major Player

I have a PV-DV 851 that can also do Title Mix using image files with the .TTL extension. I emailed Pana Support to see if they knew of any way to create these out of camera. This finally came from Pana's Lab yesterday...

Re:
Thank you for your patience while waiting for a reply regarding your
Panasonic PVDV851. We received information on the PVDV851 this morning. We
have already provided information on the ASA rating, which is equal to
100. Panasonic does not provide software for creating Titles on a PC. We
are sorry but we are not able to provide information regarding the
contents of the Title file format (*.TTL) used for the title files.

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support

...There has to be some way around this. Notice they say Panasonic doesn't make software to do it. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Anybody still looking elsewhere?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #11
Regular Crew

This video will help those of you trying to make your on title mixes

http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/media/titlemix.wmv
Alex T. Hurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Alex...worked like a charm
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Great! Glad to hear it! This is a big deal for Pana DVxxx owners.

Old June 29th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #14
Major Player

An interesting note for you Pana owners. When following this tutorial to make your own image files for Title-Mixing, you can lower the R,G,B to 9,9,9 for darker blacks. Where as the Canon GL2 keys out any black under RGB 12,12,12 the Pana's key out blacks at 8,8,8 and lower. Cool. Better letterboxing for users of the 2001 Pana line that didn't have a widescreen mode, and for those who want to use a darker black in watermarks.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 09:18 PM   #15
Tourist

MMC Templates for GL2

You may find this useful, maybe not, but I was able to use the Canon-provided MMC Templates (supposedly not supported on the GL2) on my GL2 with a little tweaking.

All you have to do is exchange the blue in the .jpg files with black (RGB 0,0,0). I did this by selecting a color range, clicking the eyedropper on the blue in the image, and then filling the selected area with the foreground color, which I had previously made black (RGB 0,0,0).

You also have to save the .jpg with the accepted title mix image name, i.e. USR00001, USR00015, etc. You then upload it to your image card, and use it just like you would in the Title Mix tutorial video on this site.

Apparently the MMC templates are intended to be used in caremas that key out blue, but it seems relatively straightforward to turn that blue into RGB 0,0,0, which our GL2's will happily key out instead.

Thought that might help . . .
Joe Kave is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders