GL2 External Mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 14th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #1
Tourist

GL2 External Mics

Hi all,

My DM-50 works great. However, when I plug in a lapel mic or other mic the audio barely registers. I tested the mics with the computer and they are good. What am I missing?
Glen Tibbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Wrangler

Do the other mics require power?

What is the external mic jack sensitivity setting (is MIC ATT on)?

What is their output impedance? The input inpedance of the GL series mic jack is about 600 ohms. Some mic have a higher output impedance and this will result in the loss of level - it can be significant if the mispatch is high.

Some mics have a fairly low output level.
Old January 15th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #3
New Boot

i use a rode videomic, which works brilliantly. but the videomic uses a 9v battery and i dont think that most lapel mics are powered, and the gl2 doesn't provide power (unless you use a phantom xlr adaptor).

just wondering - what does the mic att actually do?
Harry Marr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

mic att.

I believe the mic att. "pads" the input of the mic...so that if you're recording in a very loud environment you don't clip the sound recorded.....like with a factory or a rock band etc....of course, you still would need an external box like the Beachtek or similar to us an XLR input where to take a (balanced) feed off of a sound desk...which otherwise would be so hot that it would be very over-modulated and distorted....
Len
Len Imbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #5
Tourist

powered mics

Thanks all,

I believe the problem is mic gain. The mics I am using do not have a power source. Soooo, I need a MA-300 or some such.

I purchased Visual Communicator and was trying to use the included lapel mic straight into the GL2.

Thanks again,
Old January 15th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Wrangler

What kind of mic is it? Is there a brand name? Many mics sold for sound cards are powered by the card.
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #7
Tourist

mic types

Thanks Don,

I plugged the mic into my sound card and it works great, just like Visual Communicator said.

I was stumped when the mic would not work going directly into my GL2. All solved now.

Glen
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #8
Wrangler

As I recall, the MA300 provides about 6 dB of gain, and it is also 600 ohm input impedance. It might not provide a significant improvement with the sound card mic.
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #9
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Tibbits
...The mics I am using do not have a power source. Soooo, I need a MA-300 or some such....
The MA-300 does not supply any power. As a side note, it also lacks many HUGE features that are included in the equally priced Beachtek DXA-4 (beachtek.com). MA300 owners kick themselves when they see the Beachtek.

Incidentally, neither the DM-50 nor the internal mic will work with the MA300 (or any other XLR adapter).
Old January 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #10
Regular Crew

mic boxes

....Also have a look at the one's made by Studio 1(XLR-Pro)....much like Beachtek and you can mix and match mics and input sources for left and right etc.
Len
Len Imbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #11
Wrangler

I have heard that Sign Video was the manufacturer of the original Studio One line. They also offer XLR adapters.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders