DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Thinking of getting a Canon G2... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/58695-thinking-getting-canon-g2.html)

Nick Weeks January 19th, 2006 07:25 PM

Thinking of getting a Canon G2...

Where can I find some sample video, un-enhanced, so I can compare image quality, light sensivity, etc to my VX2100? Any videos you guys made with the GL2 where you didn't enhance color or brightness/contrast?

Thanks

David Ennis January 21st, 2006 08:36 AM

If I were you I'd order a GL2 from B&H and compare directly. Just preserve the packaging and they'll accept a return without hassle if you don't want it.

Nick Weeks January 21st, 2006 08:10 PM

Don't they charge a 15% restocking fee? Also, do you know if they accept returns on used equipment?

Don Palomaki January 22nd, 2006 07:37 AM

Keep in mind that current camcorders such as the GL2 allow adjustment of the image contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc. (some might call it enhancement) before it is recorded to tape. Thus any samples you get from others will be tuned to how they setup their GL2 (which might be factory defaults). This can make a true comparison more difficult because it may not reflect how you would setup the camcorder.

David Ennis January 22nd, 2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
Don't they charge a 15% restocking fee? Also, do you know if they accept returns on used equipment?

B&H is a world class store. They don't charge a restocking fee if you call for an RMA within 7 days and the equipment is returned in "pristine" cosmetic condition and all packaging material is included and in good shape. They also require that equipment that can display usage hours not be used more than 120 minutes, but the GL2 is not in that category. I would not encourage anyone to abuse their liberal policy, or a good thing might go away. Only order if there is a very strong likelihood that the merchandise is what you want. One built-in deterrent from casual abuse is the normal shipping charges both ways.

They sometimes buy back used equipment.

Nick Weeks January 22nd, 2006 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki
Keep in mind that current camcorders such as the GL2 allow adjustment of the image contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc. (some might call it enhancement) before it is recorded to tape. Thus any samples you get from others will be tuned to how they setup their GL2 (which might be factory defaults). This can make a true comparison more difficult because it may not reflect how you would setup the camcorder.

Good point Don, didn't really think of that. I did see some footage of the G2, and although I thought it looked great, I still want to get one in my hands. I'll probably order from B&H. I'm sure I'll end up keeping it once I get it...