Thinking of getting a Canon G2... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Thinking of getting a Canon G2...

Where can I find some sample video, un-enhanced, so I can compare image quality, light sensivity, etc to my VX2100? Any videos you guys made with the GL2 where you didn't enhance color or brightness/contrast?

Thanks
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM   #2
Fred Retread

If I were you I'd order a GL2 from B&H and compare directly. Just preserve the packaging and they'll accept a return without hassle if you don't want it.
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Don't they charge a 15% restocking fee? Also, do you know if they accept returns on used equipment?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:37 AM   #4
Wrangler

Keep in mind that current camcorders such as the GL2 allow adjustment of the image contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc. (some might call it enhancement) before it is recorded to tape. Thus any samples you get from others will be tuned to how they setup their GL2 (which might be factory defaults). This can make a true comparison more difficult because it may not reflect how you would setup the camcorder.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
Don't they charge a 15% restocking fee? Also, do you know if they accept returns on used equipment?
B&H is a world class store. They don't charge a restocking fee if you call for an RMA within 7 days and the equipment is returned in "pristine" cosmetic condition and all packaging material is included and in good shape. They also require that equipment that can display usage hours not be used more than 120 minutes, but the GL2 is not in that category. I would not encourage anyone to abuse their liberal policy, or a good thing might go away. Only order if there is a very strong likelihood that the merchandise is what you want. One built-in deterrent from casual abuse is the normal shipping charges both ways.

They sometimes buy back used equipment.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki
Keep in mind that current camcorders such as the GL2 allow adjustment of the image contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc. (some might call it enhancement) before it is recorded to tape. Thus any samples you get from others will be tuned to how they setup their GL2 (which might be factory defaults). This can make a true comparison more difficult because it may not reflect how you would setup the camcorder.
Good point Don, didn't really think of that. I did see some footage of the G2, and although I thought it looked great, I still want to get one in my hands. I'll probably order from B&H. I'm sure I'll end up keeping it once I get it...
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders