Help: LCD screen died on GL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 25th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Tourist

Help: LCD screen died on GL1

Anyone have experience with the LCD dying on a GL1? The eyepiece works fine. I've been using it just fine without it, but any thoughts on how to fix it? It's off warranty and I don't feel like packing it off to Irvine. Thanks.
Ed Yoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Wrangler

A likely source is the connecting cable, or possibly the switch that detects the open/close state is not working.
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

An alternate LCD

Heres a cheap alternate instead of going in for repairs. The screen is bigger also http://www.varizoom.com/products/monitors/vztftu.html

BHP has this unit for about $379.
Old January 27th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Wow, my LCD's are all fine (unless you count a few dead pixels), but that's a great idea to just buy an attachable screen rather than sending in for repairs (which would probably cost more anyways).

Good tip. I'll keep that in mind for the terrible day when I lose an LCD screen.
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Major Player

The LCD on my GL1 has gotten kind of finicky. It usually will not work when I first open it, but I have found that if I wiggle it gently back and forth a few times it will work. Seems like there's probably a short in the connection, or in the open/close switch as Don mentioned.

Kind of annoying, but it still functions.
Jarrod Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 10:53 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi, i suffer from the same problem, my LCD is dead. it is receiving power from the camera, and the racing ants on the screen do change when i point the camera at light vs. dark, so it's receiving some sort of image signal. i think it is probably a cracked screen, however, i took it all apart and the screen looked fine. does anyone have an idea on where you could buy a replacement lcd as i feel capable of replacing it.
thanks, fletch
Fletcher Kasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Old Boot

If you SHOULD go with an external monitor - I have, a cheapo one - and are pissed at having to use the "sticky-out" Canon video out plug, I'm using this Right-Angled FAT plug:

http://www.flatbatt.co.uk/Leads-cabl.../video-35.html

OR

http://www.revealcables.co.uk/acatal...%5f1458%2ehtml

I've cut of what I don't need and re-soldered the appropriate Right-angled 3.5mm. It works!

I only use the monitor for framing and popping the focus. Luckily my LCD is still working and I have this flipped out to give me the Zebs, as this is NOT transferred down the wire.

And yes, buying an external IS good, but make sure you get one that has a fair enough reso for focus - yeah?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders