Gl2 more focus problems vs outher camera's ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Gl2 more focus problems vs outher camera's ?

Well I order just XM2 and read some threads hier about the focus of xm2
That de Canon xm2 is not one of the best focus camera's
I have not so much experience with the camera techniek
But what I wan't is switch with the subject with my focus
I want to get focus on the forefront subject and then on the subject behind as example.
Is this kind of things possible with these camera ??
Cengiz Ozgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #2
Tourist

Focusing

From what I understand, you want to focus on a foreground subject and then focus on something in the background.

Because of the wide-angle nature of the camera's lens, the only way to get this look is to set the camera as far back from your subject as possible and then zoom in on it. If possible, use the largest aperature (lowest f setting in manual exposure mode). Your subject should be clearly in focus, but the background blurry. Use the manual focus to switch the focus to the background.
Jon Jivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Trustee

Cengiz,
I haven't found anything wrong with the focus on the XM2 - it's certainly no different to any other camera in it's class. The actual lens is very very good.
As Jon says though, to try to get differential focus between foreground and background will require a very wide aperture and certainly not to use the widest part of the zoom. This is nothing specific to the XM2, it's because it uses such small CCDs - and as I said, would be similar to any other camera of its type.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you Jon and Robin

"focus on a foreground subject and then focus on something in the background."

This is exactly what I mean

I must think about that i have enough space between the camera and the subjects wich whant focus on it and enough space that I can zoom on the subject .
Cengiz Ozgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #5
Wrangler

Sound like you want the foreground object in focus and the background out of focus, then you want to change it so the foreground is out of focus and the background in focus.

Not easy with the servo controlled focus because ther are no exact focus positions related to how far the focus ring is turned. It may take practice and several attempts to get it to your satisfaction. Also, as with a 1/4" CCDs, the camera has great depth of field, so the in/out of focus difference may not be as pronounced as you might like.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders