Larger card for still photos? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Larger card for still photos?

The GL-2 came with only a 16 meg SD card which in the finest mode/setting won't hold many stills/photos.Taking into consideration at best the yield here is only 1.7 megapixels in still mode,is it worthwhile to buy a large(r) card? What's the difference in quality (if any) between a photo stored to tape amd a photo stored to card?None I guess.If so,it seems to me that the tape is a whole lot cheaper if one is going to take lots of photos assuming reasonably good results can be obtained.

Do any of you have large cards onboard and what's your opinion of what the GL can do for stills?

Also,(stupid question),if the tape is rolling all I need to do when ready is to hit the photo button (guessing).Is that all there is to it?If not,how does one get photos direct to tape?

Thanks!
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have a 128MB SD card in my XM2.
I'm able to store about 170-180 photos on that card with the best settings.
Outdoors I think the camera takes good pictures.
(concidering it is only 1.7MP)

I have never taken any still pictures when in "tape mode", so I can't comment on that one.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Major Player

To record stills on tape you need the Tape/card switch set to tape and the on/off switch set to camera. To take a still press the photo button rather than the red record video button, with the selector in Standby. The tape runs for 6 or 7 seconds then stops automatically.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven
To record stills on tape you need the Tape/card switch set to tape and the on/off switch set to camera. To take a still press the photo button rather than the red record video button, with the selector in Standby. The tape runs for 6 or 7 seconds then stops automatically.
WOW! - I REALLY didn't know that!! Thanks Alan . ..

What is the format that comes out the other end? Interlace? Yes I or Prog. can you get interlace on a single snap? Must be .. confused . .. Reso?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Major Player

The resolution is that of the video format, PAL in our case. I suppose it is progressive, but I don't really know. I have never actually used it, apart from recording black between sections of shooting.

I have just switched from an XM1 to an XM2, but I don't know whether I shall make much use of the card mode. It could be useful to take the odd still in among video - I never try mix video with pukka still photography. One use would be to shoot frames for menu backgrounds, they would be better than frames taken from the Premiere timeline.
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #6
Major Player

i heard it was better to be shooting in frame mode when taking pics with the tape. might be true... anyone know?
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #7
Major Player

I've always assumed that the camera automatically adopts frame mode when shooting stills on tape.
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have a 512mb SD card enough to record 400+ Fine (1488 x 1128) photos. With tape you are limited to the 720 x 480 DV resolution.

Val Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Not sure how photos turn out inside. But the outside photos are great for a 1.7mp. I have some really great photos. I need to try my other Canon flash unit EX420 I think as it will work on the hot shoe. I use a 128mb, bought 2 of them cheaper than a 512mb. So if one goes bad I still have a 128mb. Good Luck Steve
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Stills

Bruce, gentlemen,

I use the still mode on tape farely often. to me it has two purposes. 1. if I want a still in my video ( and in most videos i use a number of action stills)it will be the same resolution as the video. I do not like to see a perfectly clear snap of 6 mega pixels or such and then flip back to televison resolution. 2. I use it when I do not have time or desire to flip to card or do not have one in place and i will want to email a flick or two. they are small files and require no work to pull out and send.
My indoor pics are only good if I have geat light!! Of course the card flicks are preferred for some things.

gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders