How much better really is a ME66 than GL2 Mic? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 23rd, 2003, 03:04 PM   #16
Regular Crew

And let us know what you finally decide!
Old January 23rd, 2003, 03:10 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

I don't think anyone has mentioned it so far, but be aware that like just about any other professional XLR mic, the Senn 66 is monophonic. To some this is obvious, but for others it's a big surprise. The consumer-level MKE300 is stereo. All depends on what you need and what your budget is. I've used the MKE300 before and thought it was just fine... certainly is affordable.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 06:16 AM   #18
Major Player

Has anyone tried the GL2 mic in voice mode? I find it very impressive. The GL2 mike is then directional and still retains stereo quality, a big plus with me.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #19
Machinist Mate

Hey Don Palomaki, quick question on recording out of the mixing board...I've had no problem doing this on the XL1, in fact it seems the most efficient way to go, but then the XL has those nice RCAs on the back and the line-level switch to make it a piece of cake...what do I need to know about doing it on the GL? (just bought a GL1 to use as second camera, it was an irresistable deal, being a demo of a discontinued model) I gives me great video when I shoot B-roll with it, just haven't really gotten myself at home with its audio capabilities yet.

cheers
mike
Old January 27th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #20
Major Player

Can't you get a RCA to XLR conversion cable? Then you can run long distances and go into your XLR box on your camera. I tried a RCA to mini jack cable, about four feet long, and the amount of interferance was horrible! I would not recomend using a mini jack cable in to the mic in on your GL1. Try and use XLR (I have never actually tried this, but my guess it that it would work ok though.) Let me know what you do and how it works out for you!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 05:54 AM   #21
Wrangler

First the MKE-300 is a mono mic. Has a mono 1/8" mini-phone plug. Plug it in the GL1 and you get sound on the left channel only.

As to connection to a sound board, you need to feed mic level signal to the GL via a 1/8" plug in the external mic jack.

Sound board output may be XLR or 1/4" phone jacks, or RCA "tape monitor" jacks. It may be consumer line (-10 dBV), professional line (+4 dBU), or mic level in the range of -30 to -50 dBV. Thus you will need a range of adapters to make the connection from the soundboard to the camcorder

A reasonable wasy to accommodate the likley sigutations you may encounter is to use a Studio-One or Beachtek XLR adapter that also provided level controls so you can avoid overloading the camcorde input.

The Studio-One plugs into the GL1 mic jack. The sound board output connects to the Studio-One using the appropraite cables/adaptes.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 07:34 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks for setting me straight about the MKE300, Don. Must be old age creeping in, that's the third or fourth technical mistake I've made in recent days... should keep my mouth shut and let you guys do the talking! The correction is much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #23
Machinist Mate

Thanks Don,

Looks like I can't put off the inevitable too much longer--that is, to get a Beachtek or Studio1 to pad the line level down to mic on the GL.

Too bad that's the only way in--the A/V jacks (even though they are RCA only on one end and use that dang fool Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve miniplug on the other) would be so much easier. Oh well, I guess that's another reason why the GL is so much cheaper.

Also too bad they didn't put meters on it to make me feel more comfortable, but I guess that's another reason why the GL2 is better, and why I never record without headphones on to let me know if I'm at least getting some usable level.

Cheers
mike
Old January 28th, 2003, 06:30 PM   #24
Wrangler

> Must be old age creeping in ...

Beats the alternative...
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders