While we are salivating over HD . . . please read this thread . .again . . at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 18th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #1
Old Boot

While we are salivating over HD . . . please read this thread . .again . .

Our XM2s do have much to offer . . . please read this thread . .I've just re-read it and it is only NOW after 12 months that the recipe "Jim" speaks off is truly starting to embed itself in my brain .. . Go on, read it . ..

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=40437

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #2
Old Boot

title SHOULD read "WHILE" . .Chris? Typo WARNIG in title?!?! Please change . .. please .. my ego can't take it!

G
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Sorry, but this really doesn't do much for me... I still use a GL1. I can't wait to go camera shopping when I sell my house!!! Hi? HD100? Red? The jury is still out on that one.
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Old Boot

eh? You've lost me Keith . .G
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Where did I lose you? While the GL2 may still be a good camera, the GL1 isn't quite on the same level, and even further from the quality of even the old XL1. Don't get me wrong, it is still a workhorse, but it really doesn't bring in the "good" jobs, ya know?

Soooooo... I'm in the market for a new cam. I see a lot of job postings, where they are looking for shooters with XL1s, XL2s, or DVX100. The DVX is a nice cam from what I have read, but it is a one piece, where I was looking for the option of upgrading the lens as needed. As far as which one, I'm still not sure.

I was looking at the H1 with serious interest, but starting to feel as though Canon really half-arsed the project, in an attempt to catch up with the market. They don't have any decks compatible with it, so if I want to capture 24p in 1080, I need to use my new $10k cam as a deck and wear out the heads that much quicker.

You still with me?
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #6
Major Player

i watched this trailer when i first joined this site.. and it gave me lots of confidence in these cameras.. bought a gl1.. outgrew and traded up for an xl1s..
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #7
Capt. Quirk

I had the XL1s, and thought it was a great cam. Then, I did something stupid, and sold it when we needed the extra cash to buy this house. Now, I'm selling the house, and getting a new cam. It has come full circle again :)
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Old Boot

Now I understand.

I was re-reading and re-viewing Jim's great work that again made me marvel at this XM2 = GL2 camera - still.

I went out today and used his pre-Fx recipe while shooting in 16x9 - I'm still amazed by its abilities. Ok, when I/we finally get our hands on the equiv. HD version, THAT will be the best thing .. . but for the mean time, I'm still loving my XM2, while 16x9 and using presets I can practice on.

C'mon Mr Canon sort it?!??

Grazie
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #9
Capt. Quirk

Like I said, my GL1 is still a little workhorse, and much easier on the body on long shoots. However, there is a huge difference in it's abilities, and what people want. I want to get something that will in the long run, bring more work, better rates. Preferably, something that is easy to work with, without breaking the bank... I know, good luck on that!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders