Century 2x teleconverter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 25th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Century 2x teleconverter

Good morning,

I just recently purchased a 2x from a member on the classifieds on this list, a fellow canadian, Francois. I had the lens in a couple days, impressed.

I took it out in the field and having had a tiffen on my sony and tossing the tiffen in the garbage 150 dollars wasted), I was still leary as to expectations.

If you are considering one of these converters you will not likly be dissappointed!!

With the gl2 telephoto out all the way and then with the 2x on it I could fill the bulk of the Frame with a hungarian partridge (about 6 inches tall) at 75 to 100 yards out. A 1000 mm lens or better on a 35 mm slr. the detail was much better than i expected as duplexes have a reputation of destroying the image!!

Anyway, thought I would throw that out there. It is a nice heavy piece of glass!!

Dale
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, the resolution and freedom from aberrations is better than the Sony 1.7x, but the reduced diameter of the glass means that it is far worse at vignetting - you can use only the top 35% or so of the zoom range.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

other 2x for gl2?

allan,

I have not tested it enough to know that. for me that is livable as I am extended more often than not.

is ther a good teleconverter out ther that zooms well, clear image and doesn't vinnette???

dale
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #4
Major Player

The nature of the design means that vignetting is almost inevitable. I should think that the diameter necessary to avoid the problem would simply be impossibly large. The cost would be so great that it would not be economically viable either.
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #5
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
allan,

I have not tested it enough to know that. for me that is livable as I am extended more often than not.

is ther a good teleconverter out ther that zooms well, clear image and doesn't vinnette???

dale
Nope, not that I know of for the XM2. There is the Raynox:
http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...WORD_SEARCH=N&

I have read GOOD things about it. It's plastic body didn't inspire me. It screws into the 58 thread and starts vignetting about 50% out. The one I tried and with the lighting condition I could also see some chromatic abbs going on. £130 quid? Eh .. nope. . . and a plastic body!

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/vide...sonicdv952.htm

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen

I just recently purchased a 2x from a member on the classifieds on this list, a fellow canadian, Francois. I had the lens in a couple days, impressed.

I took it out in the field and having had a tiffen on my sony and tossing the tiffen in the garbage 150 dollars wasted), I was still leary as to expectations.

If you are considering one of these converters you will not likly be dissappointed!!

With the gl2 telephoto out all the way and then with the 2x on it I could fill the bulk of the Frame with a hungarian partridge (about 6 inches tall) at 75 to 100 yards out. A 1000 mm lens or better on a 35 mm slr. the detail was much better than i expected as duplexes have a reputation of destroying the image!!

Dale
I just cut&pasted this into Seeking appropriate threads on the Under Water, Over Land thread for wildlifers. we're very interested in this sort of of field info. and as an XM2 user I'd love to know how clear an image you got of the partridge. Any chance of a still or clip??? Meryem Ersoz put me on to www.ourmedia.org last week and I had a clip up next day for FREE. Any reports stills or clips of your wildlife field tests would be appreciated, Dale
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #7
Major Player

I have an abundance of footage taken with an XM1 and the Sony 1.7X convertor, plus some new footage with an XM2. I have just begun acquisition with a Century 2x on the XM2.

There is a gallery available on this site, but I am unable to post on it, and requests for information as to what is required have not been answered.

I too have looked at ourmedia, but have not yet taken the plunge.

As a result I have been emailing stills to people.

If one could post on the gallery here, life would be a lot simpler.
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell
I just cut&pasted this into Seeking appropriate threads on the Under Water, Over Land thread for wildlifers.
It's best to start another separate thread on teleconvertors in the wildlife forum. It only creates confusion to copy and paste between different forums like this, and the "seeking appropriate threads" discussion was merely a place which was used to jump-start the new forum.

To get the ball rolling, I've moved those posts into a new thread for you: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63694
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven
There is a gallery available on this site, but I am unable to post on it, and requests for information as to what is required have not been answered.
At this point the gallery has not been implemented for general use. Of course you can always post stills to your own webspace and put links to them here. But I'll pass your comments along to Chris.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #10
Inner Circle

tests

I would love to run tests but my gl2 has the cassette jammed up and wont open.
I hope to get another camera this week and i will set up some tests and put them on a web site when that comes around.

dale
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #11
Inner Circle

wildlife forum

Where is the wildlife forum?

Dale
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #12
Wrangler

happy reading!

wildlife forum link:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=111
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders