extended warrenty?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 29th, 2003, 02:55 PM   #1
New Boot

extended warrenty??

Hi,
Thanks for a wonderful forum! I just purchased a GL2. Is the 4 year extended worth the money? Does anyone know what it covers?

Thanks again,
SamDiego
Old January 29th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Depends on how much it costs and what it covers.
Is it a Canon warrenty or aftermarket?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #3
New Boot

It's a cannon authorized dealer that does the repair and the cost is about $175.

Thanks,
SamDiego
Old February 2nd, 2003, 08:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

To extend or not to extend...

I've done some research on this issue as well, and all indications seem to point in the direction that the extended warranty is not entirely necessary, unless you're really paranoid and need it for peace of mind.

Most people I've asked have said that any major defects with your camera will make themselves known within the first year. Whether this is true or not, I'm not sure, but's that's what many have told me.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that many Visa credit cards come with a warranty extention benefit, which will increase the factory warranty of any electronic item you purchase on the card, for one additional year. Before you purchase an extended warranty, you should call your Visa card customer service and inquire about this benefit. It's free, and could save you the cost of the extended warranty, that some feel is uneccessary anyway.

~NA
Noka Aldoroty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:28 PM   #5
Outer Circle

If it covers both parts and labor, and you plan on keeping the cam for a long time, why not? I bought some extented 4 year warranties on some of my small cams but never had to use them. Would I buy them again? Nope. That's because problems usually occur within the warranty period, and I baby my cams---I'm careful with them and keep them clean and protected!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2003, 05:14 AM   #6
Wrangler

First, an extended warranty is really a service agreement. Only the manufacturere offers a warranty.

Second it is like insurance, those who use it usually make out on cost, but most people lose money on extended warranties because they do not use them up to the price they paid. Keep in mind that the price includes profit for all the middle men.

In summary, buy it if you cannot affort to pay the likely cost of a repair if needed outside the regular warranty, but can affford the service agreement. And check on the likely hood of the provider being around in 2-5 years if needed, and their reputation for quality work.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders