WD- 58 Hood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 5th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #1
New Boot

WD- 58 Hood

Hey I was wondering if any one knew where I could pick me up a hood for my WD- 58 0.7x58 lens for my GL2?
Thanks
Steve Hagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Any authorized Canon dealer can get it for you. Here in the U.S., try our community sponsors: Pro-Tape, ZGC, and Zotz Digital. Contact info at www.dvinfo.net/sponsors

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Let me refine this question... Is there someplace that sells a lens hood for a decent price? I went to B&H, and they wanted $35 for just the hood. Does this seem a little out of line to anyone else?
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

www.EVSONLINE.com has the hood for $29.99, just picked one up the other day.
Oscar Vidales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Oscar- That is still $30 for a little piece of plastic. I could see paying$5-10 maybe, but not much more. I did do a quick search on ebay, after the price shock wore off. I found several different types, most around $5-10. If after I get my WD 58, I'll see about getting one, and report back how it works.
Old June 26th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quit being cheap and just buy it!! The generic ones on ebay are wack.
Old June 26th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #7
Capt. Quirk

Not really a matter of being cheap (Maybe just a bit ;), but I just can't see paying $35 for a piece of plastic. If you have no problems with it, I have all sorts of little plastic and tin pieces I could sell you... And some of swamp land too!
Old June 26th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Im kidding! I agree with you, these companys want to drain us for every penny we have, and we cant do anything about it. I hate it!!!
Old June 26th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #9
Capt. Quirk

Sure we can... It's called "buying aftermarket".
Old June 26th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #10
Major Player

Keith

Maybe you know this already, but the WD-58 comes with a basic lens hood. So if you are buying new and dont have your lens yet, just see if you like the one you get.

I find the supplied hood works fine but the lens is such a big chunk of glass for that camera that I rarely use mine because I dont leave it on all the time like a rig I had previously.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #11
Capt. Quirk

Bill- I have the WD58, no hood. It is the WD58H that comes with the hood. I got it from another board member for $100, which was a great deal, hood or no hood.

But I still can't see how they can charge that much for a plastic hood. It must be a platinum screw that holds it in place?
Old June 26th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Jeez Keith, I bought my WD-58 before Canon offered a lens hood and the only options were aftermarket products made by companies like Cavision that cost over $100. This "piece of plastic" is designed specifically for this lens adapter, and features tulip shaped eyelids that give you the maximum protection possible without vignetting, and also allows you to attach the WD-58's lens cap on the front if you want. For what it does, it's a bargain, and you really can't live without it. At least I can't. It makes a big difference on combating flare.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #13
Capt. Quirk

Marco- I can understand why a lens hood is important, and I can understand how the design can be important to the function. What I can't understand, is why it's priced like it is. It's made of plastic, not an exotic carbon fiber, and it only has one moving part- a screw. Total cost to manufacture it, is probably less than a daily paper. Just because it is for a $2500 camera, doesn't mean it should be priced proprtionately.

A Mini DV tape has more exotic materials, more moving parts, and more research behind their design. Should you pay $75 for a tape?
Old June 26th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Keith it's a simple principle called supply and demand. For example you might find this quite shocking. You know that cart you push around at the grocery store? How much do you think one of those carts costs? Well I worked at a grocery store and was involved when we ordered new carts. For something that has maybe $10 worth of metal and plastic the cost was $150 for a single grocery cart. Yes it's rediculous, and yes it's over priced. The thing is that they are one of the very few distrubutors of the product and thus they can charge pretty much any ammount they want for it. In the end if you think the price is so outrageous you have 3 options:

1. Bite the bullet and fork over the cash

2. Build your own lens hood. I would suspect that through the time and effort involved that making one would be more expensive

3. Live without the lens hood.
Alex T. Hurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 03:37 AM   #15
Regular Crew

<<<-- But I still can't see how they can charge that much for a plastic hood. It must be a platinum screw that holds it in place? -->>>

The knurled screw that Canon uses are rolled on the thighs of young Italian virgins, and that's why the hood is so expensive.

(Think about that the next time you use one :)

Tip:

If you look around, you can find an 82mm MC filter that is a free fit in its frame (you can tell it's a free fit if it will move back and forth in the frame, and has a a round spring clip holding the filter in instead of a screw in ring).

If you remove the spring and the glass, the actual filter (glass part) should measure around 80mm or there abouts. If it is, it will fit right INSIDE the plastic ears built into the hood for the lens cap (a secure fit, but not a damaging one). The lens cap will still fit on the hood.

I discovered this when I needed to use the W-58 with a ND grad. I guess you could also use a NC/UV and have a cool optical flat built into the lens shade, or if you need a deeper ND than the camera's built-in one can supply.

For an extra measure of security, you can use the spring that originally held the filter in its frame to hold the filter in the shade.

Now is it worth the money?

Enzo Giobbé
Enzo Giobbé is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders