Pal Vs Ntsc - Us & Uk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 7th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #1
Tourist

Pal Vs Ntsc - Us & Uk

I want to purchase a GL2 from an American website and save quite alot of money. The problem is that it is set for NTSC and here in the UK everything is PAL. Premiere is my editing software and it accepts both NTSC and PAL.

I really have no idea about any trouble I would have in future with compatibility. To make matters slightly more complicated, I currently use an XL2 which is PAL. I would be using both the XL2 and GL2 together...

Will it work or not really is my question. Can I get away with purchasing an NTSC camera for use in the UK?

Thanks.
Dave Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #2
Wrangler

Transcoding from NTSC to PAL may not be worth the effort considering the likely artifacts.

Some USA sources do carry PAL equipment; e.g., B&H Photo and Video in New York City, shows the GL-2E (XM2) for about US$1950 plus shipping. Details at: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=1918

There are other sources as well. Good luck in your quest. And the VAT folks might get you even if you buy in the US.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Don't go down that path David!

For starters you'll be paying carriage costs, then insurance on top, then Customs and Excise will want a dollop of your money as too will the VAT men. The NTSC version may only come with 90 days warranty. And on top of all that you'll be shooting NTSC. It has 96 fewer horizontal picture lines, reducing the vertical resolution quite noticeably. You won't be able to edit NTSC and PAL on the same Premiere timeline (PAL is 25 fps and NTSC is 29.97) and you won't be able to make a DVD with them both included.

Is all this worth the saving? You already have a PAL Canon - stick with the same standard.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Old Boot

Double Ditto above. PLUS check out any Canon XM2 refurbs. Call Canon's head office in Herts . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders