Rubber eye piece/cup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #1
New Boot

Rubber eye piece/cup

Is there a third party eye cup available for the GL2? I would like a more round and a little deeper for eye glass wear.
Terry Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #2
Old Boot

Me too, and no, well I haven't found one on the web. The best I got was a chamois leather option for larger shoulder pro cammies, that kinda fits. The other option is to fabricate one yourself.

I'm presuming you have tried the large rubber floppy thingy that came with the kit? It is over this I've "fitted" the chamois.

http://www.mvsvideo.co.uk/equipment_eyepieces.htm
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #3
New Boot

I'm using that one now but I would like to find something a little more akin to a round bellows/accordian type that will colapse and seal up against your cheek, and give a little better light seal. Over here, we have some animal game calls (duck,elk) that have something like what I want for the rubber part, but afixing them to the eyepiece going from round to rectangular and making it look right not using a hose clamp or something will require some thought.
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

eye cup

The eye cups on the gl2 are not very good, though the large one is better for the eye glass wearer.

you can make one very easily; get a piece of foam the type used for insulating walls. use a smal file or sander to shape it to the shape you like.
Go to a craft store and purchase a bottle of liquid laytex used for mould building. Put nice thin layers on everyday until it is thick enough to hold shape. when it is right you just peal it off the small form and you are ready to go.
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #5
New Boot

Well thats an idea. Am wondering how hard it would be to get the latex to release from the form though? is there some type of releasing agent that is used like when we work with fiberglass? I went looking at the game calls to get that bellows look this weekend but they were quite expensive, and seems a shame to butcher up. I'm looking at the smaller eyepiece that came with the GL2 right now and can see an easy sacrifice to trim off everything but the nicely formed part that actually locks the rubber to the camera and building up from there. Once I had a workable "tube", I could probably use a silicone sealant to attach to the old eyepiece. I still want it to look right but be duarable also.
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #6
New Boot

I've ordered today something off of e-bay that looks like it just might fill the bill. There is a fellow(?) that sells rubber accordian style eye cups, thousands he claims. Anyhow I was lookig at the Canon s3 for a backup for my wife on ebay and saw the ad for our subject. He advertises in many different camera locations but the product seems to be the exact same. It looks like a slip over on these point and shoot cameras. It was only $15. so I am going to give it a try. I don't know the diameter of the tube he provides but in looking at the Canon S3 it seems to be quite large. The GL2 measures at about 4 3/4" around the eye piece. Should be in by the end of the week, so I'll let ya'll know how it works.
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Terry,

If you do not mind cutting up one of the two originals the job would be really easy. I make all kinds of things using dental plaster and all my forms are made with liquid rubber. it is really easy to work with and in most cases I do not use a mold release agent, which you can buy at a craft shop.

The advantage is that you do not have to jerry rig something else and it will be exactly as you want it. also if you first effort is a wash out you can use the base piece over and make a new and improved addition.

Looking forward to hear how the one you ordered works out!!! for fifteen bucks you can't go to far wrong!
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #8
New Boot

Well it works! The rubber eyepiece that I picked up on ebay is a good tight fit, had to streach it a bit, but no problems. There comes with it 2 tie straps that I used to try and secure better to the GL2. Non eyeglass wearers will get a perfect seal around the eye, the rest of us its still better than what came with the GL2. For those that might want to give it a try, I was looking at the Canon S3 on ebay and found this product, and ordered this one. Got here in three days. Birthdayboy is the moniker on ebay. He advertises in several location for different point and shoots and I don't know if they are all the same or not. I sent him an email that he has a new application, so it might be found under GL2 soon. I thought I had already sent this reply last friday afternoon, but don't see it. Sorry if it ended up on some other thread.
Terry Arnold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders