firewire cable question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 2nd, 2003, 05:52 PM   #16
New Boot

Has anyone here had the oportunity to use a firewire longer than 4? I would be interested to hear first hand how a cable like that worked out in a real world situation. Thanks
Jesse Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #17
New Boot

Yes, I've used a 100' firewire cable from a camera to a deck with no problem. However, I tried the same 100 footer from a computer to an external firewire drive and it did not work at all; the drive wasn't even recognized.

I just came across this site. They seem to have high quality cables at a decent price:

http://www.1394store.com/eshop/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=6

Note that on thier 20M cable they state that it is good for "camcorder applications only", hence the problem I had...

I did buy their firewire networking software, it works great. You can connect two computers via a firewire cable at up to gigabit ethernet speeds. The software is somewhere around $15 for each user license...check out the details, it's pretty cool
Blip Pio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #18
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by George Brackett III : Just tried my $7 firewire cable. It actually looks heavier than the $30 one I got fron Circus City.....works great! -->>>

George, where did u get $7 firewire cable
thanks
sam
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I bought today at MicroCenter, a QVS (generic) 10ft ieee1394 cable for $19.99.
Should I return it and get a shorter one? I really don't wanna deal with dropped frames, but maybe i'll give it a try anyways.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:52 AM   #20
New Boot

If I may chime in...

I once bought a 6 ft, $10 firewire cable from target. The audio on the captured video had some constant popping, as if the sampling rate between the camera and computer were slightly different. I switched to a $30 Circuit City cable (I think it was also 6 ft, though), and the audio problem went away.
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #21
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Miquel de Pablo : If I may chime in...

I once bought a 6 ft, $10 firewire cable from target. The audio on the captured video had some constant popping, as if the sampling rate between the camera and computer were slightly different. I switched to a $30 Circuit City cable (I think it was also 6 ft, though), and the audio problem went away.
-->>>
I'm gonna return that one I bought, I'll probably end up buying a Belkin one they have that is 6' for like $25. The quality on that one should be legit, they are a pretty big and make a lot of accessories for Apple stuff. I haven't seen any of the Sony iLink cables round here, so that will do.
I'd rather not have to deal with capturing issues.

EDIT

Well I returned the generic one, and got a 3' Belkin one for $24.99. Short but oh well, I hope I will not have any issues with capturing.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders