GL2 Not Powering On at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 30th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 Not Powering On

Alas I have also been subjected to the power plight of the GL2. Today on the ascent of my first dive my GL2 shut itself off. After removing it from the housing and seeing if the battery came loose it still wouldn't power on. So after flipping the power switch on and letting it sit for a minute or so did it some on. It worked fine the second dive and I powered it off on the ascent again. Once I got home the little bastard wouldn't turn back on. Three battery tries later and it still isn't soming on. So I have contacted Canon support and await a response. Quite disapointing after a good day on the water and the kids wanting to see whats down there. The tape is still in the drive and it won't eject even to try in another mini dv camcorder.

Chris
Chris C. Corfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #2
Major Player

This is the first I've heard of this plight. What other ailments infect the GL2 generally? How long have you had/used your camera before this happened?
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have had the camera since the fall, I bought it used. So I am not sure of the actual age. It has worked flawlessly up to this point. I have really grown attached to it. We shall see what Canon has to say.
Chris C. Corfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well such a saga this has been. After shipping it to Canon they took a week and a half to process the camera into their service dept. The first phone call from them was to state that the camera had a bad power board. So $421CDN would have covered the repair and shipping back to me. This didn't seem to bad so i ok'd it. A few more days go by and I get another phone call stating that the main board is also defective and that will also need to be replaced. $1700 later this could be done and shipped to me. So there i was left with a choice to decide on. Henrys has a GL2 on right now for $2700 CDN, brand new full warranty. I ended up purchasing a new GL2, with an extra three year warranty for $3400CDN with taxes in. Canon has been very good about their service, just very expensive. They are shipping my old GL2 back to me, no charge for shipping. So if anyone has a GL2 with a broken lense I might be interested.
Chris C. Corfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders