Is a GL2 a good buy right now? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:53 AM   #16
Fred Retread

In choosing between the GL2 and the XL2, bear in mind that you will be shooting very poor audio in bleak contrast to the outstanding video until you manage to invest in sound equipment.

What are you going to be shooting?
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I had same dillema...and bought XM2 (GL2) and for difference in price i afford myself XLR adapter, pro mic and decent tripod. That was 2 years ago and i still don't feel that i need something "better" for my needs and expectations. It serves just beautiful as a backup camera for my bigger kit. And like most people on this forum would agree, this cammie can produce some stunning images.
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Having a Gl2 is like having a toaster, no home is complete without one. :}
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Accessories

I agree that even a wide angle is not very useful. The most important things : a large battery, a bag, a lot of tapes and do a lot of shooting. Maybe a shotgun mic is useful for shooting live performances. To avoid tear and wear to your GL2, you may consider buying a cheap DV cam to rewind your tapes and as a second cam. The footage of my GL cam does not play very well in my second cam(sometimes no sound). You may take one recorded tape of your GL and put it in the second cam to try before buying.

Kenneth
Kenneth Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:22 AM   #20
New Boot

GL2 on the Cheap

Just picked up a refurbished GL2 in perfect (waranteed) condition from techforless. Their stock is irregular, but I am sure you can find a refurbished unit in the $1600 range for this model. Make sure it carries some sort of warranty if it is a refurb - usually just open box stock anyway...mine is perfect.
Gregg Sullivan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders