GL2 and the War at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 9th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 and the War

On CNN the other day, they showed a GL2 as part of a reporter's equipment., along with a Titanium Power Book and a dish. The GL2 I saw had a special microphone attachment for cutting down on wind noise. It looked like one of the attachments you can get for an XL-1. Did anyone else see this. I would like to find out more about this

Also, isn't the GL2 a little delicate for this kind of environment!!??

Tim
Tim Palmer-Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I think the GL2 is a very sturdy, well-built cam. Easy to hold and operate too. The fluff you put on the mic is to muffle wind noise, and other little unwanted noises---sort of like softening the video with a warm filter.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Frank's right. The GL2 should be able to withstand battle duty pretty well. Although the body is plastic and will scuff it's tough stuff and can take a beating. All of the small controls are recessed and not prone to whack damage. It should do at least as well as a Sony PD-150, the favorite "toy cam" among news agencies.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 07:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

GL2 and the war

Thanks for the replies but what I was asking about was the apparent attachment to this camera. It looked like a Light Wave attachment with the big fuzzy windsock over an outrigger microphone. Have any of you heard of any attachments like this for the GL2. I am still getting a lot of wind noise despite cutting the lows electronically. At the very least, is their a commercial windsock to go over the existing mike.

Tim
Tim Palmer-Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #5
Tourist

For an inexpensive version, check out http://www.mikemuff.com. I don't work for them. It looks very good for this setup. They have one for the GL1. Should work on the GL2?

Canon also has one under their accessories.

Terry near Baltimore, MD USA
Terry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Sure wouldn't want to repeat it, but.... 2 weeks after I got my GL2, it was tossed out of a sadle bag on the horse I was riding at a full gallop. Landed on the dirt road and bounced a couple of times. Before picking it up, I had written it off as at least partially broke. Not so, dusted it off and everything worked (and 6 months later) still does. It's clearly a keeper! I'm sure impressed with the build quality.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 11:39 AM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Tim,
Is something like this what you think you saw?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

gl2 and the war

The attachment I saw looked like the Light Wave set up for the XL1

But I see that Light Wave has a smaller version for the GL 1/2. It sounds like it might do the job. Their XL1 version that I have for my XL-1 is excellent. Of course I have to keep it away from the dog.:)

Tom
Old March 11th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #9
Wrangler

Back in the days of the L2, I recall reading that folks would use masking or gaffers tape around the openings and tape loading door to help keep out sand/dust. Might be worth considering for the XL1/GL series.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders