Maintaining Manual Focus on GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 26th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Maintaining Manual Focus on GL2

Ok, this may be a stupid question but can someone recommend a technique for maintaining manual focus on a moving subject while the camera is on a handheld steadycam? I only have 3 people on my crew. Me operating the camera, my buddy holding the boom mic and my other friend holding the reflector.
Michael Pennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pennington
Ok, this may be a stupid question but can someone recommend a technique for maintaining manual focus on a moving subject while the camera is on a handheld steadycam? I only have 3 people on my crew. Me operating the camera, my buddy holding the boom mic and my other friend holding the reflector.
This sounds like a recipe for disaster? However this Canon is real quick with AF, y'know? MF+Steady? Hmmmm... I DO have a LANC Frotti on my DVRig Pro which I do use to keep things in focus by employing the the PUSH Focus technique. I'm wondering if using a LANC somewhere ON the Steady you could do a PUSH AF and back to MF? Yeah, I can see that happening.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
This sounds like a recipe for disaster? However this Canon is real quick with AF, y'know? MF+Steady? Hmmmm... I DO have a LANC Frotti on my DVRig Pro which I do use to keep things in focus by employing the the PUSH Focus technique. I'm wondering if using a LANC somewhere ON the Steady you could do a PUSH AF and back to MF? Yeah, I can see that happening.
Using the Manual Focus is the only way i can control DOF. Unless there is a better way to get DOF with autofocus.
Michael Pennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pennington
Using the Manual Focus is the only way i can control DOF. Unless there is a better way to get DOF with autofocus.
Ah! I see! DoF. Hmmm... I have also done this with my LANC. I can use the ZOOM toggle AS a Focus adjust. Back and forth - yeah? Not QUICK quick, but it does do it. I guess what you are after is a simple sensible way to use a kinda whip or rack? Yeah? Interesting with a the Steady. Have I seen Racks and stuff on steadys?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #5
Old Boot

Some interesting comments for you here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=steady+rack
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders