WD58h w or without UV Behind it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 26th, 2003, 04:18 PM   #1
Major Player

WD58h w or without UV Behind it?

Any thoughts on what the effects are of leaving my UV filter on the lens (hate to leave it unprotected) when using the WD58h? Does moving it out one filter width affect it's field of view? Could other filters (polarizing) be used behind it without adverse affects?

Thanks
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Take it off, Rob. It serves no purpose back there. It also pushes the WD-58 slightly out of its calibrated range.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 09:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yep

I've started off that way with the filter in the middle, but noticed that I was having manual focus problems. I'd focus then zoom in or out and the camera would be out of focus. The UV filter stays off now, when the WD58 is on.
Old March 27th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yup, take the UV off when you add the widie. A filter adds two surfaces, both of which can add to the flare and both of which can have dust and fingerprints (but not yours or mine, right?)

You may find that keeping the filter there vignettes the corners of the frame slightly, and pictures to memory card and opened in the PC will tell you if this is so. If your widie has enough covering power to rise above this, then go ahead - use NDs or polarizors between widie and zoom - there's no real harm done.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders