GL2 more new user questions. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 29th, 2003, 08:26 PM   #1
New Boot

GL2 more new user questions.

Well I finally picked up my GL2 yesterday and am now looking at all the accessories for it. As I read through the manual I thought typical they tell you how to set all the different options but not why you would want to or how to use them. Some of course are obvious but I was wiondering has anyone put together a tutorial on how and why to use the various options on the GL2? Is there anything I should read or look at? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim
Tim D Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Hi Tim! What you should do is ask specific questions, here, once you've studied the manual. There are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable GL2 owners here, who are looking forward to your questions. Have fun with your new great cam!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks

I am sure that I will have a few questions as time goes by. I just wish there was a "getting started" tutorial. It would just help you get up to speed. I bought a book Digital Video Essentials which is pretty good as a general book. There was a guy who did tutorals on digital cameras and sold them for a few bucks. They were great as they came as a PDF which you could take with you on the road. Anyway thanks for the reply.
Old March 29th, 2003, 10:09 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Tim, perhaps start with this one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/articles/topfive.php
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Im in the same boat Tim -lol-

I have recently bought a GL2 also and asm learning the tricks with this baby. Such a wide variety of settings on it. Have u figured out hwo to get rid of that grainy sound that comes through the onboard mic? I have tried manualy lowering the right and left channels so that it doesnt pick it up as much, but still get the fibery static tin sound.

What have u run into? Maybe we can bump heads with our limited knowledge. But as the guy above mentioned. This is a great place to get your answers and FAST at how quick people repond here. Its my fav place these days.

What is your goal with this camera anyways? Im working on my second Special effects demo reel for post production houses.
Old April 17th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #6
New Boot

I am still just playing with the camera had have really tried changing many of the settings. I haven't noticed that the sound is particulary bad on my camera, mind you I have mainly been filming fields full of geese and other wildlife. I know there is a couple of settings for voice and to eliminate wind noise etc. have you tried those. I will probably buy a shotgun mic for mine and a 2X converter as I plan to use it mostly for wildlife and raceing events.
Old April 17th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #7
Registration incomplete-contact admin.

Hey Tim,

I am also a new GL2 owner. ...Anyway, I just got the ma100 xlr adapter and it really works great! I have a nice audio technica lav....Very low noise.. I love it. Found the levels and sound better when recorded in Manual mode.
R.J. Paradee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2003, 10:21 PM   #8
Major Player

R.J. Paradee, how do you fit the the ma-100 to the gl-2? I'm curious. I thought it was only for the XL-1/XL1s?
Old April 18th, 2003, 06:45 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

He probably has the MA300, not the MA100.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #10
Registration incomplete-contact admin.

You're right I have the MA300. (gl2) I didn't realize I was in an Xl1 forum when I posted. Sorry guys. I'll get better, I promise.
R.J. Paradee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders