Capture with new GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 3rd, 2003, 02:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Capture with new GL2

I just purchased the GL2 and it is incredible! I still have no clue how to work everything in it but I am learning (with your help).

I am filming my dad hitting golf balls (this is not the reason I bought the camera, just an interesting idea we had). Is it possible to freeze the shot to see if the clubface is open or closed at impact?

I know there must be settings to adjust, I am just unsure what they are.

I was filming in frame mode, and the lever was switched to "P" and not the green square. These are the settings I was using.

Thanks to this board. Reading the posts here and watching the clips by Steve Nunez, Bill Hardy and others.

Thanks Tom
Tom Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 02:29 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Tom,

I'm not a golfer, but I'll take a swing at this.

The basic settings you're using are correct, but there are a few other matters to consider. Most video in North Amerca (and some other places) is recorded at approx. 29.97 frames per second (let's just call it a nominal 30 fps). That is, your GL2 cannot capture images faster than this NTSC-standard rate. Unlike a film camera, setting higher shutter speeds on a video camera is principally an adjustment to exposure sensitivity, not an adjustment to the speed at which images are recorded.

That said, 30 fps may not be fast enough to capture adequate detail for your purposes. You'll have to review the footage by moving through it a frame at a time. To do so, you'll have to plug the camera into a tv (for best view) and use the Frame Advance/Frame Reverse controls located on the GL2's remote controller.

But by all means, experiment. If all else fails, just tell dad his swing needs work and that you need some more gear to analyze it in greater detail!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 03:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Not a golfer either, but I will putt forward an idea too...

I agree with Ken, that you will probably not be able to get a good frame of the club hitting the ball. Say that a swing takes 0.2 second (for the fast part). That means the whole swing will be covered with 30/5 = 6 frames, so the odds of one of them being of the exact impact are probably small.

You could try to fiddle with the shutter speed anyway though. The faster the shutter speed, the less movement "blur". Ie. a slow shutter speed will have the club moving perhaps 30 degrees within the same frame, whereas a fast shutter speed could make the club look almost stationary and not too blurred.

Just put the camera in "Tv mode", that is shutter speed set to manual, and see how the different shutter speeds affect your stills.

Hans Henrik
Hans Henrik Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 08:23 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Ken and Hans for the reply. I will try different settings to see if I get the effect I am looking for.

More posts soon to follow.

Tom
Tom Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:49 AM   #5
Tourist

Tom: any updates?

Hi Tom,

I am thinking about buying a GL2 and I am very interested in how well it can "freeze" high speed action by using high shutter speeds. I read Ken's and Hans' posts that the high shutter speeds don't act like they would with a film camera.

Have you done any additional testing as your last post mentioned? If so I would be very interested in hearing what your findings are about how well the GL2 can freeze high speed action!

Thanks,

paul
Paul Orwig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders