GL2 doesn't come with a firewire cable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 8th, 2003, 09:48 PM   #1
Tourist

GL2 doesn't come with a firewire cable?

Can this be true. Today I installed my firewire card into my PC and went to connect my GL2 using the provided wiring only to find out I had a GL2 to USB cable.

Is this common? If I have to buy a FIREWIRE cable do I need to spend the extra $ on gold plated Monster Cables.

Thank you.

RH
Old April 8th, 2003, 10:04 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes, it's true that the GL2 is not sold with a Firewire cable. No, you don't need a Monster Cable. Gold-plated connectors add no value for digital connections...other than to Monster's coffers.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

firewire good for NLE

Hey there,

I have been doing Non-linear editing for a while with Premiere and found that using a firewire is best for grabbing the parts of a tape that u want.
You can do this straight from the controls on your computer screen to rewind or fast-forward the tape to record what parts u want.

Thought this might be of interest to you. USB is good for transfer rate, but firewire for control ( 4 to 6 pin for DV to computer )!!
Old April 15th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

There are two kinds of FireWire cables for digital video. Camera manufacturers would go broke supplying both of them with their camcorders, so they choose to not include them at all.

For camcorder-to-camcorder copying, or for camcorder-to-laptop capturing, you'll need a 4-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable.

For camcorder-to-desktop capturing, you'll need a 4-pin to 6-pin cable.

There's no way for the manufacturer to know in advance which one you'll need, so they leave it to you to get the right one for your situation. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:05 AM   #5
Major Player

I bought one for $6.97 on Ebay. That's not too much considering they are $39 at best buy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders