Another Teleconverter question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #1
Contributor

Another Teleconverter question...

Hi All:

I was in NYC yesterday and had a chance to visit B&H photo.
The place was mobbed. There must have been 100 sales people working the floor. They had a conveyor belt with baskets going along the entire ceiling. The baskets would deliver the order to the customer on the floor. Amazing place.

I talked with the video salesperson about the two teleconverter options for the GL2:
1) Sony 1.7 ($269)
2) Century Optics 2.0x ($399)

The boss, (my wife), just recently gave me permission to get one for my upcoming birthday (she is the bread winner and I'm between jobs but not for long I hope).

I asked the salesperson why so much difference in price. He told me that Century Optics was a lens company and Sony was not.

I had my heart set on getting the Sony after seeing the wonderful work by Steve Nunez with his Sony teleconverter.
I can't image the Century Optics doing any better.

Does anyone with the Century Optics 2x teleconverter have a few examples of 40x stills to your memory card or frame grabs posted on their website?
Thanks in advance!

Steve
Steve Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Hey Steve,

I too looked into the Century 2X- from what I've been told- it's a bit better than the Sony unit and the extra .3x multiplier would be cool to have.

Thanks for the compliments.......if you get the Century- post some pix!!!

Good luck.
Old April 15th, 2003, 03:04 AM   #3
Contributor

Hi Steve:

Thanks for the info!

On another note:

The GL2 just returned from a week down in the Caribbean a few weeks ago. I'm just finishing up editing a few video clips and a short report on what I learned about using it in this setting. I hope to have them ready in another week for viewing.

Have a great one!

Steve
Steve Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I very much decided on getting the Sony 1.7 teleconverter. B&H only carries the two tone model (silver and black) and Sony shows the all black model in their website. So I was wondering if there was anything different in the specs between the two.

Val Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:05 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Kenko makes the tele and wide adaptors for Sony, so they are almost the same. If you don't believe me, compare the 2 side by side. One difference, though. Kenko puts filter threads on the front.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #6
Major Player

I would go with the Century unless the cost is too much. I have the Century and love it. I'll try to get some pictures at 20x with tele-converter later tonight.
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders