Is a preamp totally necessary? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 14th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Don,
Do you have any tips with using a preamp with the GL1? I tried it with my MM-1 (Studio 1 was set to line), and couldn't seem to get any improvement. It seemed like the autogain wanted to fight with the pre-amp. I've since switched to using the MM-1 with a minidisk that has manual settings and am getting really good results, although I have to admit I have no idea what I'm doing. What do you think? Forget about using the MM-1 with the GL1? I've tried all kinds of settings, and even used a variable attenuator, and I got some pretty good sound, but it wasn't arguably better.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 04:40 AM   #17
Wrangler

The preamp should be set to have an output of around -35 dBV. Some mics like the ME66 may provide that output level w/o external preamps. A higher output, which many preamps provide, will put the GL1 into its AGC mode even in MIC ATT setting.

The "better" sound is mainly a lower noise floor. (Less background hiss) during quiet portions of the sound track.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 12:24 AM   #18
Major Player

More info on my Azden mic. It is an Azden ECZ-660 Zoom Shotgun Mic. It has had the minijack plug removed and converted to an XLR connector.

Could this be why it has NO gain?

Anyone know if the Azden SGM-1X would work? This is in my price range as the ME66 is not. =(

Also, would I need a preamp for the SGM-1X?
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 04:21 AM   #19
Wrangler

The SGM-1x is better than the ECZ-990 (current Azden model listed on their website, may be similar to the 660 but I've not seen anything about a 660 model?) and should work better.

If someone has modified the mic you have, that could be the source of the problem - especially if you hear NO output. Maybe have a technician friend check it.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #20
Major Player

Great Thanks. I will check out the higher end Azden.
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders