MikeMuff Windscreen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 16th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #1
New Boot

MikeMuff Windscreen

Hi all,
Does anyone own a MikeMuff windscreen (www.mikemuff.com) for the gl1 or gl2, if so how do you like it and how do you think it compares to other more expensive options?

Kyle
Kyle Scharoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Since I don't use the camera mic that often, I opted for a super cheapo Radio Shack foam windscreen. It works pretty well and cost a whole $5.99. Wish I could say the dead cat on my ME66 was that inexpensive!! It's one that is actually designed for a stick mic. It slips over easily and I used a tie wrap to secure it in place. Only down side (as will all versions to fit the GL2) is that the tally lamp is now obscured so I've been recording at times I might otherwise have caught (those buttons on the handle get me all the time).
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #3
Major Player

mikemuff

i know that this is a fairly old thread, but i too was wondering about the quality of the mikemuff. i have a gl2 and want to buy an effective windscreen for the factory mic, but i haven't been able to find any direct comparison between the mikemuff and the canon equalizer (eq-gl1), besides the price of course. the canon claims protection up to 40mph, but the mikemuff has a detailed field test at 20mph. so, right now, i guess its a question of credibility. if anyone can help me out, i'd really appreciate it. thanks.

nicholi
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 10:50 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Nicholi,
I've not used the "Mikemuff" but I do have an Equalizer for the GL1/GL2. (This is actually made by Lightwave Systems.) I regret the purchase. Frankly, $150 MSRP for this muff is absolutely outrageous for its value. I don't think it could stop the woosh from a flea fart.

If I were making the purchase again, I would opt for Rycote's Mini-Windjammer for the GL2 (available from B&H Photo and probably others for around $40). Rycote is the king of the furry windscreens and holds patents (and an Academy Award) on their designs. Based on the performance of their other windscreens (I have 3) I would trust their products first and foremost.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 11:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the MikeMuff and like the performance for the price. It does a great job in a decent amount of wind. I don't use the on camera mic as much as I did, since I purchased the Sennheiser ME66 and Lightwave muff. I think the MikeMuff is a good value for the money.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Ken. Thanks Joe. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I think I'm going with the Rycote. However, I'm also trying to decide whether or not to get a muff for my Azden sgm-1x. For now, this mic will remain attached to the shoe mount (until I can afford a beachtek or some other access to a balanced xlr input, and apply a longer cable and boom). I couldn't find a Rycote muff for the Azden, but MikeMuff does make one. The mic already sticks out pretty far in front of the lens, and seems to be barely out of frame. My concern is that the "fuzzies" from the muff will be too long/thick and edge into the top of my frame. If this is the case, which seems likely, I might just keep my fingers crossed for low wind and hope that the factory foam helps me a little during the times I use the shotgun outside, or just go with the muff'ed factory mic.
Old July 15th, 2003, 08:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

My friend Kyle and I got the mic muffs a few months ago and used them in Washington D.C on a school trip. The outside audio was fine although due to time constraints and the fact we decided when we got back voice overs would be nice we decided not to use the audio. Hope this kinda brings this thread full circle.
Brian Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

This is shot with the Mikemuff.

I like its performance.
Jan Roovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 08:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have the Mike Muff for the DVX100 and for a GL-1. They work well when you are using the on camera mic. I ordered one for the Azden SGM-1X and that does a good job too. One note about the one for the SGM-1X, you have to use it over the foam windscreen. Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Rob,
Just to double check... the sgm-1x MikeMuff, while over the foam windscreen, doesn't drop down into the frame? If that's the case, then I'm a happy boy.
Old July 16th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Yes, if you mount it right on the camera. I use a tilt and swivel mount between the camera and the mic. I've had it on there so long I've forgotten about it being there. The tilt mount is something I picked up at a camera store for about $20. They are used for flashes. It raises mic up about an 1 3/4 inches and you can tilt the mic up if you need to in order to get it out of the shot.
Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #12
Major Player

Great idea, thanks Rob.
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders