Depth of Field Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 27th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Depth of Field Question

I just started experimenting with my new canon gl2, can anyone give me any advice using the manual controls... I'm trying to get a shot with good depth of field, but when I use manual focus.. it's either blurry or it's not.. I wanted to do one of those shots, where and object upclose is in focus, and then the background comes into focus as the object goes out of focus, but i can't get it to work.. Any advice?
Jenna Klingensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

On 1/3 inch chip cameras its harder to do this then with 35mm. I can explain why if you want but for now I will just answer your question. Zoom in more and movie your camera back farther. Also watch your Fstop and make sure its as low as you can get it. Again if you want the scientific reason for this I will explain it, just request it.

Have fun.
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #3
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan James View Post
On 1/3 inch chip
I wish!! Aint we got only 1/4 chipsets?

Actually, Jenna, you got it front to back. It is BAD or rather "short" depth of field you are after. This was something that tripped me up too! So with this short or narrow DoF you can do exactly what Alan says. And yes keep the iris WELL big!! Of course this means, in certain circumstances, that you will overexpose. So, you can either increase the shutter speed - less time for light to impinge on the chip/s thus reducing the overall exposure OR, better yet, use the internal Neutral Density filter. And if that aint dark enough you are starting to get into the realms of additional ND filters etc etc . ..

Can you believe it, there once was a time that Hollywood would break its back to get EVERYTHING in focus, from near to afar? Ho hum . .. how things have changed.

Hope this helps.

- g
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #4
Old Boot

. .and as if by magic!

I've attached 2 examples: Far and Near Focus. I've "thrown" the focus while capturing.

It was a very VERY bright day. I could open up the iris completely; I slapped on extra NDs to bring back exposure within limits; I used a polariser to get that real neat saturation without all the OTHER light bouncing about and I think this demonstrates just what this small chip camera can do with "some" extras.

Do I want a bigger chip camera? Ah, yes. . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Depth of Field Question-near-focus.jpg   Depth of Field Question-distant-focus.jpg  

Old March 28th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #5
Old Boot

hmmm . . can't seem to get the DISTANT focus to load up here . .
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #6
Old Boot

Well! I have just deleted and then RE-uploaded the distant focus sample. But NOW I can't see the near focus example?

It is as if only one sample can be "seen" as an attachment and thus only THAT one viewed?

I have checked and BOTH samples are uploaded. I can see this from within my "posting" advance DVInfo menu. However, both are stubbornly reluctant to display as attachments - you get either ONE or the OTHER!

Chris! Help!!!

- g
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #7
Trustee

I see themn both...pretty pix.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald View Post
I see themn both...pretty pix.

Thank you Cole. I just hope they demonstrate what you can do with the setup I explained?

As to attachments . .. WOW! - Now THAT is service!! I didn't see them before? What HAS Chris done here? Was that you Chris?

- g
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Yes, I see both pictures too.
Very nice pictures, Graham!
And they really demonstrate the focus changes.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes I do believe the GL series has a 1/4 inch sensor. I am used to talking about my XL2 which has a 1/3 inch, but the same idea applies. Actually it will make it even harder to get this type of effect. You could always go out and blow 3000$ (or so) on a mini35 and spend more money on lenses.

Have Fun.
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Grasie,

I got both pictures nicely. Great demonstration of depth of field for anyone who wants to know how to get that look.

I always use both nds and a polizer, I really like the look.

where did you find flowers in bloom like that this time of year??? We still have bits of snow about and threats of snow tonight!!!

dale
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:16 AM   #12
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post

where did you find flowers in bloom like that this time of year???
dale
Thanks Dale.

Ah! That was in a previous high Summer!! LOL!

The XM2 is a remarkable camera. But sometimes it needs a little assistance - extra NDs and Pola being part of the tool-set extension.
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:40 AM   #13
Major Player

Very nice colors! Obviously, I need to work with my camera more...

And get a polarizer!

Bob T.
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:45 PM   #14
Trustee

Never, Ever leave home without your polarizer...I even use it indoors quite often to help eliminate glare and richen the blacks of an image.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I never thought of using my polarizer indoors. Don't you need a lot of available light? Probably wouldn't work well for a wedding ceremony, eh?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders