any experiements with Kenko, Titanium (and any japanish) lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 30th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #1
Tourist

any experiements with Kenko, Titanium (and any japanish) lenses?

Dear members!

Sorry if this was already a topic in forums, but haven't found any.

Do you someone have an experiements with these manufacturers?

I would like to buy some tele and wide converter lenses for my GL2. They are cheaper than Century Optics, but what can I expect about the quality?

Thank you in advance.

Csaba
Csaba Juhasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 06:59 AM   #2
Major Player

I haven't bought any Kenko lenses for my GL-2 but I have bought some in the past for other cameras and you'll get what you pay for. It was worth the money I paid but it wasn't what you would call a quality lens. If you really need to save some money and can live with the mediocre results then the Kenko should work just fine.

I would suggest looking at Canon's own WD-58 for the wide angle.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #3
Outer Circle

There are 3 lines of Kenko lenses. The Kenko Pro line is the top line, and they are the same quality as the Sony VX2000 adaptors. Why? Because Kenko makes them for Sony. But when you buy the Sony version, you get no filter threads on the front, whereas with the Kenkos, the all come with threads. Since you have a Canon, stick with Canon as Ben suggested.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:19 PM   #4
Wrangler

I had a Kenko Pro for my VX2000 and returned it in favor of an Optex. You can see my Kenko tests here:

http://members.cox.net/tauger.paul/V...Comparison.htm
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #5
Major Player

In my limited expirence I would say stay away. I borrowed one from a friend (sorry, don't know the model). Here is what I do not like about it:

- When zoomed out fully, the fame is vingetted (cropped) all the way around and is very noticable.

- The lense is huge! With the size comes the weight and the arm fatigue. = (

- I was not impressed with it esp. after I bought the Canon WD-58h which is smaller, lighter and I like it a bunch more. The only down side is at full zoom out, there is a little barrel distortion.

- AR
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders