2 quick questions about "FRAMES". at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

2 quick questions about "FRAMES".

Hi,
I did "search" and found out some answers. However, maybe you have some experience with this.

I am about to do my first two projects using 2 GL2 cameras and my question has to do with using "Frames" or "Normal" in the movie mode.

1. I'll be taping an interior musical show that will be presented on stage.

2. I'll be taping some 8 mm and Super 8 film footage from a screen. I do have complete control over the projection. I am aware of the film vs tape speed elements to consider.

Do any of you have an opinion as to whether "Frames" or "Normal" would give the better results??

Regards, Tom
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Normal will give you more options in post. If you shoot in frame mode you are stuck with that. Normal will give you more options as far as conversion in post. I.E. Conversion from 60i to 24p and also 60i to 30p if you chose.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Todd,
That's just the sort of thing that I need to know. They don't even mention that in the users guide.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

No problem! Just keep in mind that a lot of people still like the Frame Mode. Best thing to do is test a few different options and find what works best for you. For me, I like to capture as much information that I can and then adjust in post.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Tod,

tod is right about options, good recomends!!

I shoot almost everything in Frame. I prefer to not have to do extra work in post if possible.

Definitely do some test shooting both ways, and then mess with the normal stuff on the computer and see how you like that or doing it.
Old June 29th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Trustee

Shooting in frame mode, you lose about 30% resolution. In normal mode, deinterlaced, about 50%. I always shoot frame mode, I just hate the look on interlaced footage and the motion characteristic it captures.

If you're capturing a live event with tons of motion, interlaced will give you the "sports/news" look. Frame mode will give you real 1/60th of a second time slices Assuming that's what you have your shutter set to (30f with a 180 degree shutter).

I'll reiterate my points. I hate the interlaced look and feel. I lost 20% resolution trying to get discreet frames in post if I shoot 60i. If you intend to do any slowmo, 60i is the way to go as it will catch 60 discreet timeslices (every other field) every second as opposed to 30. You sacrifice spatial resolution here for temporal resolution.

So your question is "What look do I want for the final footage?"
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Dale, Cole , and Todd,
Those are great explanations, thanks.
I was going to ask "and WHY?" in my original question, but decided that might be a bit too much. I just love to know why something works the way it does ... or doesn't.
You have all answered that "why" question very well.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders