GL2 first shoot a bit dissapointing... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 19th, 2003, 07:09 AM   #1
Major Player

GL2 first shoot a bit dissapointing...

I've been using the GL1 for 3 years to shoot weddings and assorted special events. The heads went wierd on me 2 weeks ago, probably misalignment, and I sent it in for service but had to have a camera for a wedding yesterday so I bought a GL2. I needed to get another cam anyway.

A few things I noticed about the footage when I got home...

The color...
I used auto mode, not the green square, and I tried to white balance at different times but I found the "red push" referred to on many posts to be quite irritating. Skin tones are more pinkish that the GL1. I could try a more off center custom preset but the problem with that is that I don't want to increase the green, as I would have to to get rid of the pink, because the greens in my shots (grass and plants) seemed super saturated and the flesh tones were not warm and seemed washed out compared to GL1 footage. Skin tones with the GL1 seem richer and the GL1 color was more warm and pleasing to me. I don't want to have to color correct everything all the time. It will probably bother me more than my clients. I have seen some posts about white balanceing to a slightly blue card for warmth or using daylight setting inside but that takes more constant monitoring and work than I had with the GL1.

The image stabilizer...
It was definately on but to me it didn't seem to correct shakiness as much as the GL1. I don't see how this is possible. It's probably the same mechanism. Perhaps I have developed Parkinson's over that last 2 weeks but my handheld footage seems more shakey. It was on by the way. I checked a few times. The balance of the GL2 is different that the GL1. It's longer and I find it it more "front" heavy than the GL1. Maybe this affected me but has anybody else notice this perhaps sublte difference?

The microphone...
It seemed like the on camera mic was MORE omnidirectional that on the GL1. Sounds behind me seemed more pronounced. I don't know if the internal design of the in camera mic changed or not. I could be imagining this.

Sharpness...
Obviously the image was sharper and this is a good thing.

The viewfinder...
Don't like this too much...the viewfinder on the GL1 was a bit truer on the color side. The GL2 viewfinder it over saturated. The LCD on the GL2 was a truer representation of the picture.

Sounds like I should just shut up and buy a used GL1 right?
I don't want to be down about the cam since I do own it now and I want to be happy with it but I wanted to share my initial observations and see if others share some of these thoughts.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:24 AM   #2
Old Boot

Yeah - I came from an Analogue Panny Cammy, striaght to my beloved XM2. Love it!

I too had to get my shakiness sorted out. The reds have been discussed here - do a search.

The sound for the on board is great - But I've supllemented this with a Senni K66 and the Canon hotshoe.

I'm no pro-videographer - but my mate is and he has warned me he will nick my XM2 when I'm not looking! - He's got a SONY VX9000.

All the things you speak of, have been discussed here at sometime. Don't lose heart. You'll get there - others will speak of there reaction coming from the GL1 - yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #3
Major Player

GL2

I have just bought a GL2 about three mons ago, and can say that you are dead on about some of the cameras features. The sablilizer is crap( I dont even think it works....lol), the color always has to be messed with(always), and the mic is junk(pics up all the wrong audio, with no good). With about 2 grand in sound upgrades, a gray card, filters, a power house computer (three gig, one point five ram) and boatload of other stuff, I was finally able to get breathtaking footage/audio. All it takes is money, but my set up is well worth it, and paid for itself.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:09 AM   #4
Old Boot

Stabilzer?

You mean it might not have been me:

"The sablilizer is crap"

Well that's good to know. As to the colours, have just seen a vid clip of a motor cross filmed on an XM2, colour corrected in post IN Vegas 4 - looks really amazing. The point I'm making, at least or more likely, you do get quality dv to colour correct - yeah? I'm outta my depth here, but maybe, just maybe I'm on the money.

As to the mic, I gotta Senni shotgun, works like a dream.

Oh yes, I maybe "justifying" my purchase - of course - however, IMHO, it do take good vid!

Grazie
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:32 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I won't dispute the observations of Rob or John. As Graham noted, we have had many discussions related to such matters. I can only add the following.

Re: the GL2's balance versus the GL1, it is indeed different and a bit more front-heavy due to its length. This absolutely will affect your handheld shooting for a while, particularly if you used your GL1 a great deal. The nerves and muscles in your arm and hand "learn" repetitive tasks such as steadying a camera. When you pick up a new camera whose weight is distributed slightly differently your arm and hand have to re-learn the task. Give it some time and practice.

Second, Canon's optical image stabilization system is actually very good. But stabilizing the image of low-mass handheld video cameras is a challenge for any such system. All of these prosumer cameras are extremely susceptible to the slightest body tremor. With time and many hours of practice most people can good results. Keeping the lens zoomed at its widest position while hand-holding the camera helps greatly. But the bottom line for getting a rock-steady shot from all of these cameras is to either use a tripod or use a motion stabilizer.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Grazie... I am with you! This cam may not be the greatest for everyone, but it is definetly NOT the worst either. This camera is sooooo versitle. With the right mindset, some creativity, and maybe a few dollars... You can create any video you want with this camera... I challenge anyone to tell me differently!

I am sorry, but I really don't understand how someone can just spend the hard earned cash to buy something like this, and not do all the research first. If it doesn't suit you, send it back!

My $0.02

Tustin Larson
Author: GL2 Title Mix Function
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:50 AM   #7
Old Boot

Ho Yessss....

Tustin! You got it in one. Maybe my British stiff upper thing wont allow me to come out strong . . .have to work on that one.

HOWEVER Tustin just get to my latest post, to get to some work Marc has done - If somebody aint convinvced by that . . .well . . . .

Go and enjoy AND post back what you think of it. I get this as a favourite of mine to go to getme going in the mornings AND to confirm my buying decision - Not necessarily my type of footage BUT this MotoCross stuff just blows me away - yeah?

Grazie
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes!!!

Yeah, That footage is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about... the colors are great, the image looks great!!! That is a very good quality promo. Makes me proud to be a GL2 Owner!!!

Tustin Larson

btw, Grazie, remind me to show you the footage from a boxing tournament I did. =)
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:08 AM   #9
Old Boot

Tustin Reminder ;-)

Boxing? Yes? . . . . This is your reminder . . . This is your reminder . . . This is your reminder . . .

Getting back to the MotoCross - I really wanted to show "others" what, IMHO, is truly possible with this sensibly priced 3 Chipper CAN do. I hope Rob & John will see this and take solace in the possibilities which XM2s can do - Hey, I'm still learning!

The other thread has produced some "indifferent" comments on the editing - BUT NOT ON THE XM2's footage - That's what has blown me away - the footage, the footage! It's all about the footage here.

As to being a promo for Canon - think that's what you mean - Canon should give this guy a job!!!

T - just remember the colours HAVE been corrected in Vegas4 - superb NLE suite - BUT we have to have captured the footage in the first place - yeah? This last comment, of course, aint directed at you. It's more as a wish for others to see what can be done.

If it aint in the can - nothing CAN be done - that's what I mean.

"Go forth and take movies"

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders