Is the GL2 worth it if that's all you get? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #16
Trustee

Not a bad shot. I would have liked to see the same picture with both cams though.
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #17
Major Player

Ok, just for fun...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...hris/bell1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...hris/bell2.png
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #18
Inner Circle

OK, I'll bite. GL-2 for the close up!

But again, differences in the shot, focus, etc could more than account for the differences. Which I think is your point.

In a way, though I think it's kind of hard to say much from a still as no still from a video cam (at least SD) is going to look great on a computer monitor. I wonder if we could call it better if we were trying to compare two video clips instead of two stills?

Funny - I still think the money I spent on my GL-2 was worth the difference and then some, even if I can't prove it by looking at stills from the camera. The video just feels crisper and better defined and with better color.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
OK, I'll bite. GL-2 for the close up!
You got it!

Quote:
But again, differences in the shot, focus, etc could more than account for the differences. Which I think is your point.
Exactly my point.

Quote:
In a way, though I think it's kind of hard to say much from a still as no still from a video cam (at least SD) is going to look great on a computer monitor. I wonder if we could call it better if we were trying to compare two video clips instead of two stills?
That's a good point, I'll see if I can get those clips together if anyone's interested.

Quote:
Funny - I still think the money I spent on my GL-2 was worth the difference and then some, even if I can't prove it by looking at stills from the camera. The video just feels crisper and better defined and with better color.
I agree completely! The GL2 is an amazing camera, and under optimal conditions, the image looks great! Plus, the design is amazing, it has awesome manual controls, including volume and focus, the handle is just plain useful and cool, it has a shoe for adding lights or XLR jacks or whatever else you want, the frame mode kicks ass, and it's easier to stabilize than a smaller camera.

I've taken a GL2 to some interesting places and events and came back with some great footage from it, and it's a LOT more fun to operate than a smaller camera.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #20
Major Player

"and most of the video will be shown on a projector in our training room for both employees and clients"

i think you answered your own question there buddy.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Ger,

I think you mean that because the audience will include clients, they should spring for the GL-2. Am I right?
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #22
Wrangler

In general you want the best video you can afford. What you can afford is a business decision, and will depend in large part on you clients' expectations.
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #23
Major Player

yea jim, even if the quality wasn't an issue, which i think it will become after a few shoots, i reckon the people behind these videos would be able to hold their heads high when they're asked by the budding videographer who also happens to be a client "what camera did ye use" and the answer is xm2.

i had a similar situation myself a couple of years ago when i knew i could have gotten away with a cheaper camera but i opted for the xm2.
boy was i glad i did. especially when my client started asking me to do other stuff outside of the initial brief.

Philip if you play your cards right you could develop a nice little business for yourself within the company! but if you would like to see those kind of opportunties open for you you need to impress from the beginning !!!!
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #24
Major Player

You know what, these guys are right. While I think my previous point still stands, you want to make your company look good, so you might as well shell out the extra grand for the excellent GL2.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders