Blue pixel on my LCD screen... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 25th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Blue pixel on my LCD screen...

I haven't noticed this on the camera until yesterday when I took out the camera in pitch black. I flipped open the LCD and saw a blue pixel in the top right corner. It doesnt come up in the view finder so I know there is nothing wrong with the lens.

Should I send the camera to Canon or is there another way to go about getting it fixed?

Thank you,
Ryan Krga
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 06:48 PM   #2
High School Student

Yeah...If it's not on the CCD (noticed in the video) then it's not that big of a deal. Hopefully you can live with it, right? It's not worth sending it to Canon and waiting 3 months to get it fixed. If it was a dead pixel on the CCD, then that would be a big problem...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is a picture of it. The quality is kind of crappy, but it shows the pixel good enough.

http://www.visital.com/random/pixel.jpg
Old April 25th, 2003, 07:03 PM   #4
Trustee

Ryan

Do a search for "dead pixel" and you'll find a lot of discussion about various members problems with this. It is not uncommon, in fact, 1 dead pixel is well within the industry norm for lcd screens. If it bugs you, you can have it masked by canon (shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks), but as it really has no impact on the quality of your video, or the operation of the camera, I wouldn't sweat it.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Alright, I think I'm just going to stick with it, thanks for the replies Alex and Barry.
Old April 26th, 2003, 04:25 AM   #6
Wrangler

A few years ago, the standard for laptop PC was something like no more than 17 dead or hot pixels, as long as they are not grouped or clumped together.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 07:14 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Canon guarantees their LCD screens to have 99.97% live pixels, so one or two dead pixels is well within acceptable norms. Luckily for you, it's up in the corner. And, since it's in the flip-out view screen and not in the CCD image sensor, it shouldn't be considered a problem. Canon will repair dead pixels in the image sensor, but won't bother with dead pixels in the LCD view screen as it's a very common thing and not really considered a defect. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders