Camera Bag for GL2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 27th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #31
Major Player

I use a Lowe Top-loader Zoom (TLZ) Pro AW for my GL1. It fits the camera nicely, and batteries fit in the bottom compartment and tapes in the pocket. With the 2x on the camera it still fit, barely.

The GL2 doesn't fit as well. It might work if you used the normal eye-cup not the larger eye-cup. It would certainly fit without the shade on, probably not an option.

This bag just rides at my side while I'm hiking and allows me to quickly pull the camera out when I see something I want to capture on video. For more support I use a strap around my shoulder to support some of the weight.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #32
Tourist

Has anyone tried the Portabrace CS-DV2 along with a GL2?

I'm leaning towards it for the slightly smaller size (over the DV3) since I tend to travel fairly light in the first place. I called Portabrace and they said the GL2 will fit even though the DV2 is listed as a GL1 sized bag. Not many accessories that I'd consider "essential" for my purposes. Maybe the power adapter and associated cables, the video hookup cables, some tapes, a 930 sized battery (w/915 attached), possibly the remote and a WD-58. That's propbably the absolute max I would be carrying at any given time.
Clint Bortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #33
Major Player

Although it's not very padded a GL2 will fit in a Porta-brace Hip-4. It has some padding on the bottom and stiffeners in the sides. An alternative if someone needs a strap on carrier.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #34
Major Player

Clint, the list of items you mentioned is close to what I carry. My DV3 isn't full, but I'm not swimming in space, either.

I have tapes at one end and the power stuff at the other. The pouch contains my shotgun mic and a few other items. The big outside pocket holds cables, a mounting bracket for my shotgun, my pouch of filters, and a few other items. With all this, I'm still able to get the GL2 out without digging.

I'm glad I have the DV3 because I will inevitably end up with more to carry and I still have room.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:14 PM   #35
Tourist

Will,

Have you ever had the chance to compare the DV2 and DV3 side-by-side? I'm really interested to know if the DV2 w/GL2 would be a tight fit and thus not be useful for very long. We all acquire more stuff, right?
Clint Bortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #36
Major Player

I did not do a physical side-by-side comparison. I bought the DV3 blind after making what comparisons I could via the Web and asking around. Then I accepted PortaBrace's statement that the DV3 was the right case for the GL2.

The DV2 is smaller in every dimension -- 3.75" shorter, .75" narrower, and 2" lower. That doesn't sound like a lot until you do the math. The cases are not quite a rectangular shape because the sides taper in a bit, but assuming they were, the DV3 would have a volume of 1240 cubic inches and the DV2 694 cu.in. That is quite a difference. Call the DV2 40% smaller.

I've got the GL2 centered in the middle of my DV3. One end holds tapes and the other end holds all the power stuff plus the remote. The pouch is on one side holding audio stuff. The pocket on the other side holds my white balance card, the English third of the user manual (I stripped off the other two languages), and a few other flat things. I do have quite a bit of empty space above the GL2, which I plan to fill with the addition of rain and possibly polar gear in the fall.

I'm sure this is a matter of personal taste. When I go mobile, which isn't very often, I take the DV3, my JTL Everlight kit (4 times the size of the DV3), my bag of tripods, my bag of stands, two briefcases full of audio stuff, a small case with my small MiniDV camcorder, and a smaller case with my digital camera. The bigger size of the DV3 isn't an issue in this mound of equipment.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders