Canon HV40 - Microphone compatability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems

Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems
Canon XL H and XH Series HDV camcorders; Canon XL and GL Series DV camcorders.

Old October 10th, 2020, 03:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon HV40 - Microphone compatability

Good day,

Is a Canon DM-100 Microphone compatible with a Canon HV40 camcorder please ??

Many thanks in advance
Mark Carlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon HV40 - Microphone compatability

Unfortunately the DM-100 is not compatible with the HV40. You would need the DM-50, it's predecessor, which is long discontinued:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/201377-REG/Canon_3176A002_DM_50_Directional_Stereo_Microphone.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

There's one, stated to be in good condition, on EBay (UK Seller) just now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-DM-...sAAOSwHuhfcK2L

Another one in the US:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-DM5...kAAOSwMl5fcp8z

Note, the DM-50 didn't come with a 'furry wind-muff' like the DM-100 does. Back in the day, Rycote produced a 'Mini Windjammer' for the DM-50 that fitted over the stock, two-part foam 'windscreen' (front and rear sections), but I doubt it's still available.

Gutmann (German brand) still do one, but I don't know if it's any good:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gutmann-Mic...0AAOSwP1dezs27

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; October 10th, 2020 at 10:16 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2020, 03:42 AM   #3
New Boot

Sincere thanks Bryan,

I wondered if it was compatible or not and I couldn't find anything about this on the internet at all. The Canon HV40 works great for what I use it for i.e. short 1-2 minute tennis videos accessing technique and movement etc.. I very occasionally would use the camera for other things i.e. to video a wedding speech hence the microphone just to ensure a bit better sound quality which isn't relative for the tennis.

I will go on EBay and purchase one. Really appreciate the detailed reply - many thanks again
Old October 11th, 2020, 10:19 AM   #4
Major Player

You're welcome. For the price they can be found on EBay you can't go wrong.

I just mentioned the 'wind muff' because if you do intend to use it outdoors you will likely need added protection from wind noise; the stock foam 'windscreen' won't be adequate and the middle portion of the microphone tube (where it passes through the support section) is exposed. Also, the DM-50 does not have a 'low cut' filter option and, if I recall correctly, neither does the HV-40. Anyhow, if you only plan on using the DM-50 indoors that's not an issue.

You can get 'replacement' (third party) foam sections for the DM-50, by the way, e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Repla...oAAOSwQItT9jpM

I have a DM-100 which I've used with a succession of Canon HF-G series camcorders. Still use it a lot.

Cheers.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2020, 08:57 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Bryan,

Just to let you know I acquired the DM-50 microphone you specifically referred me to on EBay. In addition I also purchased the windshield muff you suggested too. The microphone is great and does make a difference. Nice camcorders you have - many thanks again and all the best
Old October 14th, 2020, 06:42 PM   #6
Major Player

You're welcome. I see you paid just 12 GBP for the DM-50. Pretty darn good, I'd say.

I picked my DM-100 up around 6 years ago for 100 CAD - 'open box' in mint condition from Henry's in Toronto - cheap considering that new it stills retails at 239 CAD. Lowest price in the UK , 179 GBP on Amazon. Plus tax and shipping. Ridiculous really for an accessory that's been around for more than 10 years - came out in 2009, I think, when the Advanced Mini Shoe was first introduced on the Canon HG20/21 models. It's essentially the same microphone as the DM-50; basically they just moved the tube further forward on the mount - hence the reason why they opted to drop the two-section foam windscreen in favour of a 'furry wind-muff' that covers the entire microphone.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; October 14th, 2020 at 09:57 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems