Optura XI Power Board at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old January 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Optura XI Power Board

Hi all,

I've discovered just what happens when someone mistakens power supplies and provides too much voltage to the ac port on the XI. Dead camera.

Does anyone know of a resource that sells the boards for these for a reasonable price, or does anyone have a broken XI that they would be interested in selling the main board out of? I'd prefer to not call it a paperweight just yet.

I've heard that on these camcorders that you (meaning a technician) can replace the microfuses rather than the entire power board. Has anyone had experience with.

Thanks,
Brandt

Last edited by Brandt Wilson; January 19th, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

Working on the internals is not for folks without the necessary technical skills and tools. With the right tools, parts, and skill the fuse(s) could be replaced if that is the only issue. At one time you could buy service manuals from Canon, costs were in the $50 range. I've heard they no longer will sell them to end users.

Sometimes gear may show up on E-bay, and other recycling sites. Try a search.
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, this isn't a repair I'd try on my own. I have a number of Canon repair facilities nearby, and their estimates are all over the board, based on widely varying quotes from Canon on the price of the part. Before I commit the camera to one of them, I want to either have the part in hand, or have a solid quote on it.

My understanding from a Canon field engineer was that Canon specifically set up their pricing structure so that a full rebuild of a camcorder would not exceed the retail price of it. He used the example of dropping an XL1 into a saltwater bay. So, hearing that the power board would be $600 wasn't consistent with what I'd previously heard.

Thanks,
Brandt

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog