Optura Xi more questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old August 21st, 2003, 01:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Optura Xi more questions

hi everyone,

canon is about to ship the optura xi. Xi is probably the replacement for Pi. since i have a very good experience with Pi, now i am looking forward to the Xi. I saw another thread under a different topic had a littlediscussion on the Xi. and over there someone mention about the only thing missing from Xi, as to pi, is the progressive scan.

just curious, does the progressive scan really make that big of difference??? i am using the PI right now and find the progressive scan not so useful in the condition i shoot in. can someone advise when is a crucial condition for the progressive scan??? and doesn't the progressive scan produce jerky motion while using under video recording???

hope this thread would get more opinion on the Xi

thanks..
Old August 21st, 2003, 01:56 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Progressive scan is a nice feature which will surely be missed on the new Xi. 30fps proscan is only slightly jerky with faster movement after it's outputted via AV and S-video out. When you view proscan on the LCD it looks more jerky because it's still in frames, not fields. Long live the PI!
Old August 21st, 2003, 06:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

frank,

so i guess it means that progressive scan can reproduce shaper video image. however i am still curious what condition we would shoot the footage under the pro-scan mode? just like you said the video will be jerky. even though the picture quality is better, the motion is worse. Doesn't that means the function is not good for the motion pictures??? because i thought originally the function was designed for stills???
Old August 21st, 2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Outer Circle

I use proscan for a fuller look, for effect. Some people use a PAL cam with proscan to shoot in 25P then transfer to film---re: "Doesn't that means the function is not good for the motion pictures? Other people use proscan because they feel it's better when downloading to DVD, 25P or 30P. If you shot in proscan, it will look jerky on the LCD, but will smooth out quite a bit when it's out-putted via analog, AV or S-video.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 02:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks frank! we'll see how the Xi performs when it comes out..
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Optura Xi/MVX3i SDK/hacks?

With Canon releasing an SDK for the XL2, do you think they will do this for other camcorders like the Xi/MVX3i?

If it seems unlikely that Canon will not do this for their more consumer oriented camcorders, has anyone attempted to seize more manual controls from the firmware (similar to how people have modded some Sony Digital 8 cams to enable white balance, manual f-stops, etc.)?

I'd like to create some sort of USB or Firewire wired remote control to full control the camcorder (like setting aperture, shutter speed, gain, etc.) similar to the XL1/S or the GL1/2. Anybody know if this is possible?
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:42 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

I doubt there will ever be an SDK for the consumer-level camcorders; however, if a FireWire camera controller is brought to the market, it should work with just about any camcorder, single-chip or three-chip, it shouldn't matter. Hopefully we'll see one soon.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 11th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Chris,

Any word on who and when might bring a firewire controller to the market? You kind of eluded to some one bringing one out. Perhaps the only thing I've been able to find is Serious Magic's DV Rack.

Keep us posted.

X
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Optura Xi question

I've read numerous reviews, but it's still not clear to me whether I could somehow connect a remote "monitor" to the Xi somehow.

For example, if the camera was on a tripod focused on a subject, and I was 10-15 feet away and unable to view the onboard screen?
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #10
Wrangler

Hi and welcome to DV Info.

1. Yes you can connect a monitor to the Xi while it's running. All the Opturas work this way. Use the same A/V connection that you use to replay your video on a TV.

2. If you are 10-15 feet away, connecting a monitor would make sense.
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Follow-up questions

Thanks, Michael-- appreciate the input.

Looks like I'm about ready to buy a Canon-- but I'd just like to understand more about how the different models stack up.

It looks like the most suitable model for my immediate use would be an Optura. The X1 in particular seems to be a good choice, but it's not clear to me how other Optura cams or the newly announced models fit in to the big picture.

For example, could the Optura 60 be considered a "successor" to the X1? I really don't see much difference in the specs.

One thing I have no interest in at all are features like still image abilities and onboard flash. But it looks like that's all part of the package-- like/need it or not.
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #12
Wrangler

The Optura 60 is pretty impressive, the specs are very close to the Xi. And it has most of the good stuff: optical stabilization, AV/TV priority modes, RGB filter, advanced accessory shoe, plus a little more:

- 9-point autofocus
- 14x zoom vs 10x on Xi
- widescreen viewing on LCD
- more compact body
- a couple of extra auto exposure modes
- 2.5" LCD vs 3.5" on Xi

(unconfirmed)
- no manual focus ring
- looks like a different lens

I haven't gotten my hands on the Optura 60, so take this with a grain of salt.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Optura xi and firewire

Just wanted to know if the Optura Xi takes a 4 pin firewire cable. Im pretty sure it is but I have not recieved my XI yet in the mail so just wanted to make sure.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:38 PM   #14
Regular Crew

anyone know?
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:58 PM   #15
Major Player

Camera 4 pin>Mac (or pc) 6 pin (or pc)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog