Optura 60 vs. Optura Xi: What's the diff/advantage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old April 18th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Optura 60 vs. Optura Xi: What's the diff/advantage

Help me out here:
What's the big difference between the Optura 60 and the Optura Xi?
Both camcorders seem to have what I want; namely:
1. True 16:9 widescreen mode (entire width of CCD used)
2. Optical stabilization
3. Manual control (focus, exposure, white balance).
4. Same effective video pixel count (single CCD)
5. Optura 60's LCD display (not viewfinder) display WYSIWYG 16:9 mode (does the Xi do this?)

So then why is the Optura Xi still considered better than the Optura 60 (that's the impression I get, anyway)?
Is it better optics?

Thanks for any help,

Dan
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #2
Skyonic New York

i think the main difference is size, the xi because of it size is easier to shoot with but harder to stuff in your pocket, it also has a bigger lcd and 45mm lens, the bigger optics gather more light, so image it might be a tad bit better in low light
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #3
Wrangler

The Xi does not properly display the widescreen image. The image looks squished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Peterson
Optura 60's LCD display (not viewfinder) display WYSIWYG 16:9 mode (does the Xi do this?)
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yeah it's a bit of a riddle right now. In my opinion, the 60 is pretty much equal to the Xi and better with respect to many of the new software / display enhancements.

If I were in the market right now, I would probably get the 60. As Robert pointed out the main differences are the larger form factor, larger LCD and the larger/more standard sized lens on the Xi. Everything else is exactly the same.

Kinda puzzling on Canon's part, perhaps they're planning a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Peterson
So then why is the Optura Xi still considered better than the Optura 60 (that's the impression I get, anyway)?
Is it better optics?
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Okay, well at least it's not me!
I did figure the Xi has more "heft" to it; probably built a little more solid, and maybe easier to navigate the controls.
However, the wife would probably like the Optura 60 more, for the same reason. She likes lighter cameras and would definitely be using this one, and she wouldn't like a distorted image in the LCD. I, on the other hand, like a heavier cam, and could easily deal with the squeezed image.
The price is about the same for both these days.
I'm gonna have to mull this over....

Thanks for the input!

Dan
Old April 21st, 2005, 08:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Alright, Gents and Ladies.

I pulled the trigger on the Optura 60. I told my wife I found a camera that had all the features I wanted for $760 shipped to the door (buydig.com). This was a compromise from the $1400 sticker for a Panny PV-GS400 that I wanted. (In the end, the tape transport problem scared me away...).

It arrives Monday the 25th. I'll try to post some footage some time late next week. (I'm always surprised at the lack of links to test footage on this forum...)

thanks! and wish me luck.
Dan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog