Canon Optura FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old August 27th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #1
Wrangler

Canon Optura FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

All right, y'all, This is one stop shopping for all things Optura. Feel free to contribute as much as you like. I'll periodically re-edit the FAQ as it expands. The listings are growing so I'm trying to provide low budget options, next to "investment" type equipment.

GENERAL RESOURCESWHERE TO BUYACCESSORIES - What should I buy for my Optura?
  • Batteries - In addition to Canon, Power 2000, Lenmar, & CTA produce batteries compatible with the Opturas.
  • Lenses
    • Canon makes specific wide angle and telephoto lenses to match each of their camcorders. Canon lenses do not have an outer filter thread, so you'll have to make a filter sandwhich with the filters in-between the lens and the camcorder.
    • Raynox makes some good wide angle and telephoto lenses, and many have outer filter threads. You may need a step up/step down adapter to attach the Raynox lens to your camcorder.
    • Century Optics makes several lenses for the Optura series
    • Using 35mm still lenses on the Optura Xi.

• Microphones
    • Canon
      • DM-50 - Shotgun (stereo). Only works with Canon's Advanced Accessory Shoe. Powered by the camcorder's battery. Cannot be used with other microphones. Must be used ON the camera.
    • Rode
      • Videomic - Shotgun. 1/8" connector. Battery powered, with shockmount. Accessories
      • NTG-2 - Shotgun. Dual power: battery or phantom power. Accessories
      • NT3 - Hyper-cardioid condenser. Dual power: battery or phantom.
    • Audio Technica
      • AT831b - Cardioid Condenser Lavalier. Dual power: battery or phantom
      • AT899 - Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier. Dual power: battery or phantom
      • AT897 - Shotgun. Dual power: battery or phantom
      • AT4053a - Hyper-cardioid condenser. Phantom only.
      • AT4073a - Shotgun. Phantom only.
    • Sennheiser
      • ME66 - Shotgun. Requires K6 (battery/phantom) or K6P (phantom only) powering modules
      • ME64 - Cardioid. Requires K6 (battery/phantom) or K6P (phantom only) powering modules

• XLR Adapters
    • Studio 1 Productions - Adapters designed to clip onto your belt. Useful for Opturas that load tapes from the bottom.
    • BeachTek - Adapters that attach directly to the bottom of the camcoder. BeachTek also has models that provide phantom power. The DXA-10 model is designed to be mounted or used with a belt clip.
    • Stereo mini to XLR cable - Inexpensive way to use battery powered or dynamic XLR mics with short cable runs of 15 feet or less.
    • Rode XLR to mini adapter Another inexpensive way to connect battery powered or dynamic mics with short cable runs of 15 feet or less.

• Matte Boxes
  • Lights
  • Support & Stabilizers
    • Steadicam Merlin
    • Video Innovators http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=98769&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation - You can see an interesting setup for this shoulder support http://www.videoinnovators.com/product1.html. And more of their other http://www.videoinnovators.com/product2.html

TIPS, TRICKS, & STRATEGIES - Working with your Optura

REVIEWSADVISORY NOTICES

VIDEOS MADE WITH THE OPTURA
  • Pending

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog