Optura 600 various questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old September 10th, 2005, 03:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Optura 600 various questions

The specs on this baby looks really impressive. Does the bigger CCD and the 4.3 MEGA-PIXEL resolution mean that it can outperform a Canon GL2? Has anyone actually seen this baby in person at a convention somewhere?

I've seen a number of these high-rez, 1CCD camcorders on the market. Does High-rez mean kick-ass video footage? How big a role does it play in the final product?

I appreciate any feedback.
Old September 10th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

yeah im also wondering the same things...

Since the 1chip in this camera has over three-million pixels, is the image better or equal to a 3chip camera that has about one-million pixels per chip? (Assuming both cameras are shooting in an ideal evironment.)
Old September 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

It looks very promising, but until someone gets their hands on one, it's all speculation. Pixel count is only a small part of what goes into a rockin' video image. I think it's safe to say, it will have a better image than the current Opturas.
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Optura 600 Arrived

Recieved my Optura 600 from B&H last Thursday. Since no first hand reviews are available, I decided to do my own review and return the unit if it didn't meet my expectations of good stills as well as video.

After one weekend camping trip, 90 stills images, 5 minutes of 10 second video clips, and half a battery charge remaining, it looks like the 600 is a keeper.

The 600 stills are much better than those of my 3.3mp Canon PowerShot S230, and almost or better in some cases than my 5.0mp Olympus C5060. Only drawback can be the short 6.6ft flash range, but technique can help here.

Overall the unit is very small, very light, in most cases very well designed, and a good replacement for my Optura 40.
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Optura 600

Dan,
When you get a chance, would you post a small video clip for us? I would love to see just how good of a job this Optura 600 can do.

Last edited by Jason Chang; September 21st, 2005 at 11:13 PM. Reason: name omitted
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm still waiting to see some videos from this camera. Can someone post a clip or something from this camera?
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

How's the lowlight compare to the Optura 40?
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #8
Tourist

Optura 600 Frame Movie Mode or Not???

I was wondering if an Optura 600 owner out there can confirm whether there is a Frame Movie Mode or not. Perhaps in a hidden menu? Mine hasn't arrived yet in the mail but I ordered it on the basis of matching some shots I made a few years ago with an XL1 in frame mode. The listed specs online all say that it has a digital photo mode AND also frame movie mode. Canon support wrote me back and said no but when I replied back and said that even the Canon site lists the frame movie mode in their specs they didn't reply. What's the real scoop here? Are they referring to the continous photo mode in the specs or does it record frame movie to the dv tape?
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #9
Wrangler

The Optura 600 only records video at 60i, it does not have a progressive / frame movie mode. The high speed continuous recording mode is progressive but it only works with photos.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

No Optura has ever had Frame mode. However the first two Optura models had progressive scan CCDs. Of these, the Optura Pi is the closest match to an XL1, but it can be hard to find these days (try Ebay). There's always the GL2. It can easily emulate an XL1.

See http://www.dvinfo.net/canonoptura/articles/compare.php
and http://www.dvinfo.net/canonoptura/articles/lineage2.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #11
Tourist

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I recently had an Optura Pi which developed the dreaded "eject tape problem" before I could shoot with it. I really liked the filmic image it made. The Optura 600 is now almost completely extinct it seems. I think I got the last new one on the entire web that was not a grey market overseas model. Looks like the HV10 Hd will step in and take it's place.
Old September 9th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #12
Major Player

Optura 600?

I've been looking to buy my first miniDV camera, and I stumbled upon the Optura 600. Its in my price range, and the still images that I've seen are great. But thats not enough to make up my decision rather to buy it or not.

So, here is what I was hoping I could find out from the (great) members of (H)Dv info net.
1.) Does it have manual focus and is it very easy to use?
2.) What does it have for manual gain/white balance?
3.) Does it have shutter speed control?
4.) Does it have frame rate control?
5.) Does it have true 16:9?
6.) Can you attach more lens to it?
7.) Is it any good for wildlife/nature videography?
And finally,
8.) C an someone share some video from it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
~Gabriel~
Old September 9th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #13
Wrangler

The Optura 600 is discontinued.

The closest Canon model would be the new Canon HV10 but, as of this post the HV10 has not been officially released yet. See the HV10 DVI Forum for more info.

There are also several new Sony models as well.

If you're looking at a used Optura 600

1.) Does it have manual focus and is it very easy to use?
Yes it has manual focus and it's easy to use. But it does not use a focus ring, it uses a small dial, so it's not as convenient as it could be.

2.) What does it have for manual gain/white balance?
It has several preset modes for white balance in addition to a custom white balance setting. Gain is automatic.

3.) Does it have shutter speed control?
Yes, it has manual controls for aperture and shutter.

4.) Does it have frame rate control?
No

5.) Does it have true 16:9?
Yes

6.) Can you attach more lens to it?
You can attach a wide angle or telephoto lens.

7.) Is it any good for wildlife/nature videography?
It is decent, but there are camcorders more suitable for wildlife & nature videography. See the DVI Under Water, Over Land forum
Old September 9th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Micheal!
I do believe you helped! This should help me conceder my purchase.

PS: I found out that on the website I found with it on it, says "The Canon Optura 600 Mini DV Camcorder, 10x Optical/200x Digital Zoom, 4.3 Mega Pixel CCD, Color Viewfinder, 2.5 has been discontinued.
It's been replaced with the". I must have missed that on my first look.
Thanks again!
~Gabriel~

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog