Dead Firewire port in Canon Optura...is it fixable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old November 16th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #1
Tourist

Dead Firewire port in Canon Optura...is it fixable?

I have a Canon Optura 20 with not too much usage (<25 hours) on it. Lately, when I connect it to my computer, either my Dell or my Mac, neither will recognize it. Both computers will however recognize another camcorder I have.

So I’m wondering if the Firewire port is "dead" or if I’m missing something, as the camera is otherwise functioning perfectly. I don't see why the port would suddenly go bad, and I’ve never heard of that happening.

Any idea about how to fix it?
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Are you using the same cable to connect to the "good" camcorder? Seems more likely the cable would go bad... Steve
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Tourist

yes, same cable. I literally unplug it from the Canon, where it doesn't work, to the Sony, which does work. So there’s definitely something wrong with the Canon. I'm hoping there's some setting or software solution...
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The firewire on my Op 20 died also...thinking about doing some operating on it this week....could be a loose wire inside....
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Tourist

Let me know if you figure it out. I"m still using the Optura for recording and the Sony for transferring to my computer. What a pain!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog