Mic for Optura Xi at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old May 27th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #1
Wrangler

Mic attenuator + Beachtek adapter?

Is the built-in mic attenuator a redundant feature when used with a beachtek adapter or is there some benefit to using both at the same time?
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #2
Trustee

The built in attenuator is 20 db and should be used only if your input becomes too loud. try and keep the manual gain at no more than 60% and your audio peaking around -12db.

Use the Beach for primary attenuation. 20 db is a fair chunk. 6db attenuation halves a signal. The Xi looks like a really well featured camera.

You may want to use a flash bracket or a mini rover to keep a mic away from the camera. that would prevent camera noise and keep the mic out of the picture.

The illustration in the link is canadian so don't let the prices give you heart failure. look at the mini rover on the bottom, it's $50 at B&H. You can buy cheaper flash vrackets for $13 but they're not nearly as nice.

http://www.dvshop.ca/camera/videosmith.html
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mic to use w/ the Xi

Howdy,

I'm looking at several indepenent mics to use with my Xi. One for on-camera mounting (dm-50 or the sennheiser mke-300), and one as a seperate shotgun (currently looking at the azden sgm-2x.

My question is do any of you have any experience with the above models? These seem to have gotten good press and fit within my budget as well, so I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Jason
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I like the Senn 300, but you really can't beat the DM-50 for convenience, since it plugs right into the hot shoe. I doubt you'd notice any real diff. between them. Somebody else will have to pipe up about a wireless. Although there is a tiny little Samson that would be perfect for an Xi. Forgot the model, though. But it's tiny, just right for this cam.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #5
Major Player

I use the MKE-300 and love it. It's a great cheap shotgun and I have adapted it for boom use as well as on camera. Picked mine up on eBay for $65.

Chris, I thought the DM-50 was a stereo mic also?
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, two stereo patterns, one mono pattern.

Old November 24th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Mic for Optura Xi

I may be in the wrong forum. Anyway I am thinking about getting a mic for the hot shoe of the optura xi, but not sure which one to get or which ones will work with the optura xi. I was looking at a few on B and H photo but don't remember the links, anybody have any suggestions?
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

2 mic possibilities

Hi,

I have an Xi and I use the Canon shotgun mic which looks like it came as part of the camera body...nice look, nice sound, for the money...got it at my local Canon dealer....

Just make sure NOT to have the mic attenuator setting, in the camera menu, turned on, as I found out....I left it ON, and the sound was weak, as a result, during a backyard birthday party. I suppose it WOULD BE APPROPRIATE if you were in a loud nightclub or at an air show or similar loud event...

Also, you wouldn't go wrong with the basic Rode Video Mic....lots of readers' posts confirm this....but get extra "rubber bands" (o-rings that hold shock mount base to microphone), as the originals will dry out and break. Rode will send you extras at no cost if you request them....they are also coming out with the heavy duty silicone bands which last longer, as well.

Good Luck!
Old November 25th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Petersen
I may be in the wrong forum. Anyway I am thinking about getting a mic for the hot shoe of the optura xi, but not sure which one to get or which ones will work with the optura xi. I was looking at a few on B and H photo but don't remember the links, anybody have any suggestions?

I've always had good experiences with the Azden 990. An inexpensive shotgun mic, and sounds way better than you would expect for a hundred dollar mic.

When I used the smaller Canons, like the zr20's, with their horrible motor whir, the 990 was perfect. A good robust sound and no cam noise what so ever.
Old November 25th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to Optura forum from Open DV Discussion.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks guys I will check out some of these.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:51 AM   #12
Major Player

I've heard great things about the Rode mic and have considered getting one but I use the Zenhieser MKE 300 which works well also. Got it on eBay for $80.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #13
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91044

This is what I would say you should get.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog