HV20 - DVFilm Maker Solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 - DVFilm Maker Solution

Just thought some of you would be interested to know what is coming from DVFilm Maker's new version. Here is a quote:

"Release 2.4 will be out soon which adds 3:2 pulldown removal from HDV mpeg2 (HV20) files."

I bet this will be a lot easier then all these other methods. It's pretty cheap also!
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Clark View Post
Just thought some of you would be interested to know what is coming from DVFilm Maker's new version. Here is a quote:

"Release 2.4 will be out soon which adds 3:2 pulldown removal from HDV mpeg2 (HV20) files."

I bet this will be a lot easier then all these other methods. It's pretty cheap also!
Release 2.4 is out now, see http://dvfilm.com/maker
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #3
Major Player

The 2.4 demo crashes on my XP PRO machine (3 GB RAM) right after it's loading the window:

AppName: makerdemo.exe AppVer: 2.4.0.0 ModName: quicktime.qts
ModVer: 7.2.0.240 Offset: 007fbe36

I have the latest Quicktime/iTunes installed btw.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #4
Contributor

QT 7.2 may have problems with Maker unless you put QT into safe mode.
See note at the end of this page

http://dvfilm.com/update/index.htm
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #5
Major Player

The "safe mode" fixed it, I hope you are working on a fix on your side too though.

BTW, could you please quickly write down which options we should be using for HV20 footage?

For example, should we de-interlace? Which radio boxes should we click on the 24p editing options, and is there anything required to click on the Advanced options?

I know you have a guide on your site, but I guess what I am asking is: is there a specific, quick start guide for the HV20 in particular?
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #6
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru View Post
The "safe mode" fixed it, I hope you are working on a fix on your side too though.

BTW, could you please quickly write down which options we should be using for HV20 footage?

For example, should we de-interlace? Which radio boxes should we click on the 24p editing options, and is there anything required to click on the Advanced options?

I know you have a guide on your site, but I guess what I am asking is: is there a specific, quick start guide for the HV20 in particular?
See http://dvfilm.com/raylight/raylightTutorial7.htm
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Ok, I tried what's suggested on that page, but Maker crashed the lossless codec of my choice, Lagarith (a pretty popular open source codec). It crashed while working on the 5th frame:

AppName: makerdemo.exe AppVer: 2.4.0.0 ModName: lagarith.dll
ModVer: 1.3.14.0 Offset: 00003b00

The only thing I do additionally to what's suggested in the tutorial is to resize to 1920x1080.
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Ok, this is not good.

Maker also crashed the SECOND lossless codec of my choice, the even more popular Huffuyv open source codec (used a lot by Linux apps, and FFMPEG):

AppName: makerdemo.exe AppVer: 2.4.0.0 ModName: huffyuv.dll
ModVer: 2.1.1.1 Offset: 00005042

It also crashed on the 5th frame. Please note that both my Lagarith and Huffyuv codecs were configured to encode in YUV. Please install them and try it yourself.

The actual source video that I am testing to remove pulldown is this one:
http://www.embeddedexcellence.com/vid/keeper03.m2t

Trying to export in "uncompressed" works btw, but that's not what I want to do...
Old September 9th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Can you actually convert MPEG streams? (Have you done it before?)

I've been using Maker for a while but I have never been able to do anything with straight MPEG Streams/Programs. Have you tried converting it to AVI first (Windows platform standard "I guess")

Quote:
Ok, this is not good.

Maker also crashed the SECOND lossless codec of my choice, the even more popular Huffuyv open source codec (used a lot by Linux apps, and FFMPEG):

AppName: makerdemo.exe AppVer: 2.4.0.0 ModName: huffyuv.dll
ModVer: 2.1.1.1 Offset: 00005042

It also crashed on the 5th frame. Please note that both my Lagarith and Huffyuv codecs were configured to encode in YUV. Please install them and try it yourself.

The actual source video that I am testing to remove pulldown is this one:
http://www.embeddedexcellence.com/vid/keeper03.m2t

Trying to export in "uncompressed" works btw, but that's not what I want to do...
Old September 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #10
Major Player

I am trying to convert a captured 24p .m2t file to a lossless .avi file, so I can later edit that .avi file without losing quality. I am not going to add a yet another encoding on top to transform the .m2t to something else. That would be too much of my time...
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #11
Contributor

Quote:
I am trying to convert a captured 24p .m2t file to a lossless .avi file, so I can later edit that .avi file without losing quality. I am not going to add a yet another encoding on top to transform the .m2t to something else. That would be too much of my time...

I did find a bug in Maker and was able to successfully convert your .m2t file into a 24P Huffyuv AVI. I'll put the new version up soon (it will be 2.4a).
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks. Did that fix also fixed the Lagarith crash? I suspend is the same bug.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #13
Trustee

For the $145.00 cost of DVfilm maker wouldn't it be better to just buy Cineform Neo HDV? It may still cost a little bit more but look how much time you will save and you would end up with a format you can actually edit and not a hard to use lossless file or uncompressed file. For the $250.00 for Cineform Neo HDV you get a capture tool, a way to remove the pulldown on the fly and a great visually lossless codec that can be edited in certain NLE's in RT.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #14
Major Player

I would agree with you. Marcus' tool should be cheaper, just to compete.
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
For the $250.00 for Cineform Neo HDV you get a capture tool, a way to remove the pulldown on the fly and a great visually lossless codec that can be edited in certain NLE's in RT.
Which NLE's do you mean. I looked at the product info and if didn't say which NLEs it could be used in. (Just not in Premiere, which requires Aspect).
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders