OT: Capture software for HV20 video but w/MOTU audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

OT: Capture software for HV20 video but w/MOTU audio

I'm still searching for an answer and coming up empty. Does anyone know of a software capture program (similar to HDVSplit) that will allow video capture from the HV20 but supports capturing another audio source other than the HV20 and produces a single a/v file? Yes I know I can buy a hardware solution to this, but I at least want to know if there is a software solution anywhere.

Surely there has to be software that can access the incoming video data from firewire and combine that with incoming audio from the computers audio device - in this case a MOTU Traveler.

On another similar note: I just got off the phone with Black Magic Design and their Intensity Pro actually supports (in their software) capturing "only" video from the HDMI combined with audio from the Component inputs. I thought this was a really handy feature for the Intensity Pro. Which led me to ask if it was possible then to capture 2 video sources at the same time to separate files, one from the incoming HDMI and one from the incoming Component - unfortunately, the answer was NO. But as I said, it does allow for HDMI video capture combined with Component audio capture.

But this is a fairly expensive pathway to take if some other capture software can do what I'm asking.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Nathan,
How would you sync the two during capture?
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
Nathan,
I assume the software would do the syncing. Here's where I even get the idea. Previously I had a Turtle Beach Video Advantage capture card in my PC and I would capture the video from my (now dead) Sony TRV33 via its s-video output alongside audio from a mixer. The neat thing was that the Turtle Beach capture software allowed you to select your audio source, either from the capture card's input or from whichever other audio devices (usb or pci) you had connected to your computer and it would produce an a/v file that was all synced up for you. Unfortunately, their capture software is proprietary and would only work with their capture card.

So at this point the other similar alternative is to get the Intensity Pro card which will allow you to do the same thing in a somewhat similar manner by making use of its HMDI and component inputs. And not to overlook the more important benefits of owning the Intensity Pro. But I figure there has to be some kind of software that could do this without adding hardware.
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Major Player

If I understand correctly, what you're trying to do is find a hardware/software combo that can control both the camera, and an outboard audio recorder so as to sync them up and record the respective video and audio?

I can think of lots of different ways to capture video from one source and audio from another, but I don't know of any that could control both devices to without timecode, which I don't think the HV20 supplies. (But I might be wrong.)
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
If I understand correctly, what you're trying to do is find a hardware/software combo that can control both the camera, and an outboard audio recorder so as to sync them up and record the respective video and audio? I can think of lots of different ways to capture video from one source and audio from another, but I don't know of any that could control both devices to without timecode, which I don't think the HV20 supplies. (But I might be wrong.)
Sorry, I should have been more clear on this issue - it's for live capture. So I wouldn't need control over the devices at all - just want capture software that you press the record button and it starts recording the live video from the camera and audio from the pc's audio device. I know I can hook my MOTU's audio outs going into the HV20 and just capture everything via firewire, but I don't want to have to do that, I'd like to just find some capture software that will allow me to select the ASIO audio drivers for my MOTU while at the same time capture the live incoming video via firewire. There's probably no solution to this, though it's definitely do-able if someone would just do it if they already haven't.
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #6
Major Player

AHHHH ... that changes everything! ;-)

I'm not too familar with software on the PC side, but I've done this with Premiere on the Mac in the past. But pretty much every Mac application lets you pick your sound source through built-in system hooks, so I don't know if this will translate to Premiere on the Windows side.

Another choice might be Adobe's new-ish OnLocation CS3. Seems to be the sort of thing it would be geared for.
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Shane View Post
Surely there has to be software that can access the incoming video data from firewire and combine that with incoming audio from the computers audio device - in this case a MOTU Traveler.
Even if there were software to do it, it wouldn't be in sync with the video: DV & HDV have a near one second delay that is not present in the audio: so you would to manually sync them up after the fact. If you want to record live sound without time-consuming syncs in post, then you need to do the same with your video (e.g. component).
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #8
Major Player

FYI.

Cineform NEO HDV should capture live from the HDMI port with 48k audio at 1920x1080 uncompressed before it is downscaled to 1440x1080i into Cineform codec. NEO HD will capture the full 1920x1080. You need a fast computer and probably a drive array for a clean capture.

On Location software (formerly HDV rack) captures HDV2 1080i fine with no audio delay. But I'm not sure you can capture 24p in 1080i to this software.

Need to check Cineform forum...
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
On Location software (formerly HDV rack) captures HDV2 1080i fine with no audio delay.
That goes without saying, but the entire question is about *avoiding* compressed HDV audio.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Nathan,
I use HDV MPEG 1 Layer 2 audio on my JVC HD100 all of the time and it sounds fine. But as Daniel has said in a terse manner and clearly pointed out, that's not what you guys are looking for.

So as Nathan said, there should be 48k audio from the HDMI.
In fact, the HDMI on a JVC BR 50 HDV deck, passes audio great so it is somewhat strange that it wouldn't work on the Canon. However on the JVC deck, that is not a live process and it is from an HDV 720p tape. When I get my HV20 I'll check it out. But in theory it should work the same.

Also when it comes to syncing audio during capture you can always record 2 system to DAT and with a slate marker, or just clap you hands as a slate. It has worked that way for more than 75 years. I use it all of the time for poor man's sync on multiple camera shoots and audio backup. You can find DAT recorders for cheap.

Cheers.
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #11
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...pture+Cineform

This guy has a solution.

Gotta go.
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #12
Major Player

I can't speak for Nathan, but capturing audio to an outboard device is often about alot more than just avoiding HDV compression. The HV20's audio section is crap compared to pro audio gear. It also offers next to no control, only one input, yada, yada, yada. Sorry, it just is.

I know as far as doing movie shoots, even very low budget shorts, you'll often have an audio guy, and he's gonna record to his gear, not the camera.

Suffice it to say, for a lot of applications it makes sense to capture audio to a high quality, mix capable device.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders