Good 35mm Adapters for HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 15th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Good 35mm Adapters for HV20

Can someone give me some suggestions for a good 35mm adapter for the HV20? Thanks.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I use the Letus35a, and flip the entire camera on a rig I built, and use a mounted monitor with it.... It appears to be the cheapest out there, in manugactured units.

I have used a self built 35 mm adapter, spinning type, like the Redrock, which is much more combersome.

Steven Dempsey loves the new LetusFE (which uses mirrors to flip the image.

I've had to work on my adapter regularly, and frankly, the build is not that great, but if you are technically oriented, that something you can live with. I've actually put a new motor in when I inadvertantly broke the lead to the old one, but I have some skills.....If I wanted to avoid that, you may find the Brevis is the best answer....

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; August 15th, 2007 at 02:56 PM.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Major Player

The Brevis35 is a popular choice, as is the M2 from Red Rock Micro.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Check this out...I will have all of this soon.(I hope)

http://www.cinevate.com/phpBB2/viewt...?t=537&start=0
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Mine's pretty much like that - except I have the carbon rails and no follow focus. To 'make up' for the follow focus, I have the nanoConnect underneath paired with 150' of HD-SDI cable! Steve, the HV20 and the Brevis, rails and mattebox is an awesome setup. Which lenses are you planning on working with?
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Lens used with hv20/Brevis

Hello Robert. I have a Nikon 50mm f1.4 and thats all (so far). How about you?

I can't wait for The Cinevate "Follow Focus" to become available. I'm gonna get it plus the Matte box eventually.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #7
Major Player

I use a Nikon 50mm f1.8, a 35-70mm f3.5 (it's too slow most of the time), and a 70-150mm f3.5 (which works very well). I've used a 28mm fast prime, but oddly it was as poor as the 35-70mm - vignetting. The mattebox turns heads - adds creditability to the setup.
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
I use a Nikon 50mm f1.8, a 35-70mm f3.5 (it's too slow most of the time), and a 70-150mm f3.5 (which works very well). I've used a 28mm fast prime, but oddly it was as poor as the 35-70mm - vignetting. The mattebox turns heads - adds creditability to the setup.
Robert, on another thread, I believe that you mentioned using a spacer ring with the HV20/Brevis. Which lense do you use this spacer with?
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #9
Major Player

I use it all the time - it allows me to zoom into the image displayed on the internal ground glass element just that much more. Honestly, I don't see much difference - I could make better use of 5 spacers so I could zoom even more. Of course, this would mean more light loss as the HV20's aperature closed more... lol. Going with a 35mm lens system means you really do get involved in the science of photography, and that's fun.
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #10
Trustee

Is one adaptor better suited to the HV20 then another? It is a very small low cost cam with a modest need to retain as much low light capability as possible.
So continuing with the low cost theme while retaining light, does one adaptor stand out from the pack as a perfect HV20 match?
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #11
Major Player

By most all accounts, the Brevis loses the least amount of light.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #12
Major Player

I've read (somewhere) that the Brevis loses the Least light of any 35mm adapter that exists today. (Even comparing the most expensive Professional models). Visit the Cinevate/Brevis forum to get the specs and then compare that to other manufactures specs. Don't take my word for it.

Last edited by Steve Witt; August 18th, 2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #13
Major Player

Yup, Brevis is your best bet if you want to keep your light. Other great benefit: fast setup.. you'll realize once you get it how important this is.
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #14
Major Player

how does the sgpro rev 2 fair?
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #15
Major Player

I almost went for the SG Pro, but the money order didn't go through so it was delayed. I cancelled, and went for the Brevis. I'm sure I'd be happy with either :) Cinevate seems to offer more options, and they're Canadian too! But SG Pro is a very close second for me - if I was more Pro and had more cash to burn, I'd buy an SG Pro too. There is a great article by a user of all three - SG Pro, M2 and Brevis - where the three had a shoot out. It was a bit biased, but the author points that out without hesitation - if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please post as I can't find it!

Here are resources that I used to make my purchase decision:

Redrock M2 vs. Cinevate Brevis:
http://gearbrain.blogspot.com/

And the discussion:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=79577

But really, if anyone's really interested in this topic, go to the 'Alternative Imaging' section of DV Info:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=70

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders